Michigan offers three-star forward Jace Howard

This thread makes me feel like I’m high.

Anyway offering Jace is probably fine. Hopefully we make his final 12.

9 Likes

Love the offer. It’s easier to go into homes and talk about Michigan being a family when you don’t have to answer why you didn’t offer your D-1 level son.

11 Likes

Off Subject: Anyone see Franz in AA yet? What day do fall classes begin this year anyway?

1 Like

He looks like a three star kid. Don’t mean that negatively either. I don’t think it’s a tremendous reach at all.

Yeah he’s far from the biggest reach we’ve made in the past decade. Even if he had a different last name I’d probably shrug and say “ok”.

Agreed. Particularly with the spots available, it’s a solid offer. Howard is going to have some three star level recruits. Almost every program does. Maybe he can turn into a nice upperclassmen. Also if he can help recruit it looks even better.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting topic - what were the biggest reaches of the Beilein era? I think we need to knock out the Stu/Zack/Cronin class due to extenuating circumstances. I’m tempted to argue Duncan Robinson but that was so unique it’s hard to say.

I’m tempted to say Rahkman was the least heralded Beilein recruit?

Colton Christian. Max Bielfeldt was a flyer that turned into a solid contributor. Austin Davis.

Colton Christian for the win for me though.

2 Likes

Spike was in the same ballpark. he only had an App St. offer in the spring of his prep year.

3 Likes

Just tanning through here:

Christian has offers to Tulane, PSU, Cal, Sacred Heart

Beilfeldt had some MAC stuff and Illinois but the Illinois one could have been some nepotism obviously

Rahkman only had mid-majors but he was said to be “close” to getting BC and PSU

Rahkman is certainly the least scouted - only ESPN had evaluated him

1 Like

Colton Christian and Blake McLimans

Idk if this is my bias against project wing recruits, but Ibi and Nunez both felt like major reaches at the time they committed and there were some higher-profile targets that remained uncommitted that I remember being disappointed about.

3 Likes

Good list of comps from the Beilein Era.

Based on his bio on the team website, it sounds like Akunne was recruited as a preferred walk-on and given a year-by-year scholarship after he arrived on campus

If I remember correctly, Christian was also being recruited late in the process by Vanderbilt and one or two other PowerConference schools? So I’d tend to put him in a little different situation than some of the others on the list.

1 Like

You can’t really compare “reach” situations without accounting for timing. Late in the process offers in the April are different than summer offers before the early signing period.

Personally as long as these lower ranked guys have cool hair I am ok with them being offered and Jace Howard fits into that category!

1 Like

My example of glue guys are zack Novak, jordan morgan, maar and even THj to some extent. Even when we had our walk in the rotation…they were glue guys. Ch lee a d david merrit.

Ibis Watson can ball and he will prove that at Dayton. Had he stayed four years theres no telling how he develops. Nunez can play as well. I’m not giving up players before they graduate. People learned that about maar and teske. I think we would’ve had a championship had Dawkins or Chatman stayed imo…

1 Like

I agree. Sometimes things just don’t work out. Maar looked good though even as a undergrad imo. You could see the potential.

I’m expecting Ibi to be a real problem at Dayton against the a ten teams. I would not be shocked if he averages 10 this year then 13 to 14 his senior year. In fact I’m kind of expecting him to.

3 Likes

Ibi would have potentially been very valuable last year

1 Like

I don’t know. Couldn’t shoot or dribble

2 Likes