Michigan Non-Revenue Sports 2022-23 (and '24!)

The Softball has bounced back from last season which is a good sign of progress under Tholl, but they need to win the B1G in order to get into the NCAA from my understanding. B1G is a mediocre conference overall. Softball knowers, pls correct me if I’m wrong.

I was shocked at the # of players on the baseball team when I was there! They’re hitting pretty well overall, just don’t have much consistent pitching (“when you have 19 pitchers (literally) you actually have none”)

To be fair - Will Rogers (yes) is one of their more frequently used pitchers and also their starting catcher, so it’s like 18.5 pitchers.

2 Likes

Men’s Hockey gets one from the portal.

https://x.com/trevormccue/status/1780644838855119274

3 Likes

Softball gets an extra-innings walk-off HR for Ava Costales!
Michigan 4
Nebraska 3

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/umichsoftball/status/1781505978871017974?t=zvRcdQE_Xrrzow7eAYtTiw&s=19

Three years ago, this might’ve gone on the baseball field. They just added that big wall that the ball hits.

MASHED

3 Likes

She’s a former Michigan HS power lifting champion, and was a Level 6 gymnast before that.

2 Likes

And baseball takes down the Bucks

https://www.instagram.com/p/C59q1_ANL-a/?igsh=MTlrMm4yOXZkNGVkbw==

3 Likes

9-4 in conference! Pretty pretty good.

Today #4 women’s lacrosse host defending national champions and #1 ranked northwestern. Winner guaranteed outright championship of big 10.

Big ten network at noon eastern. Good activity while you wait for Dusty’s flock to come home.

5 Likes

Also, softball goes for the sweep against Nebraska, and baseball looks to bounce back from a 16-1 loss to OSU to win the weekend series.

2 Likes

Ah man, 12-13 to the visitors from Evanston.

2 Likes

Softball wins by the run-rule, 11-3 :broom: :broom: :broom:

Freshman Ella Stephenson had herself a day: 3 for 4, 2 triples, and a 2-run HR to end the game.

1 Like

Yessss! Now cmon Purdue!

1 Like

They’re currently in extra innings with NW. Boiler up!

1 Like

The Wildcats have erupted for 4 runs in the top of the 9th. Michigan may have to settle for remaining in 2nd place.

Too good to be true. Have to think U-M can make the tournament, as at large, at this very moment.

B1G Softball is down. Michigan softball played themselves into the bubble after a slow start, but they probably need to win the B1G tourney to get into the NCAA.

I can see 2 or 3 B1G teams making the tourney. Michigan has 8 more regular-season games. Say they go 6-2, which could be a challenge (especially at Penn State) but still doable, that would put them at 39-16, with 2 wins against a top-20 team.
I think a good finish, and a run to the Championship round in the conference tourney, would easily get them in. They’re one of the top 64 teams, in my opinion.
They won’t be hosting a Regional, but I think they’ll have a postseason if they maintain their pace.

By the way, the baseball team did bounce back to win their series against Ohio State.

2 Likes

Coming into this weekend’s series with Nebraska, the softball team was 50th in RPI. Nebraska was 44th. Northwestern was 34th and Penn State was 32nd.

Michigan swept Nebraska at home, Northwestern won 2 of 3 at Purdue, and Penn State won 2 of 3 at Wisconsin.