Michigan Non-Revenue Sports 2021-22

It’s weird how they’re undefeated but still dropped from #1 to #2. Is Tom Osbourne coaching Iowa and retiring at the end of the season?

2 Likes

I don’t know if this fits in but I don’t think we have a hockey thread.

Michigan got Sparty good on the ice tonight:

5 Likes

More terrific action shots from @JD1 including some cool angled photos of venerable old Yost.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I added 20+ more photos this morning.

Womens soccer beat a top 5 Rutgers team to win their first conference tournament title since 1999

14 Likes

Even though there are a few Men’s Hoops pics in here, the bulk of my 2021 was shooting Non-Revenue sports and these are some of my favorites:

8 Likes

These will put a smile on your face after a pretty tough to watch last few days.

2 Likes

Michigan’s wrestling team just won a Big Ten Championship!

First time since 1973.

11 Likes

I was watching. Not a sport I follow closely, but it was cool following along.

5 Likes

Michigan hockey heading to the Frozen Four. Were up 4-0 early in the third. Quinnipiac scores three goals and has all the momentum. Bobcats coach pulls the goalie with four minutes to go. Bold move that did not pay off. Game finished 7-4 lol

4 Likes

Apparently analytics suggest that coaches don’t pull goalies early enough. But that decision seemed bonkers to me as someone that doesn’t watch hockey.

1 Like

My biggest critique is that Quinnipiac had been dominating the period since the 4th goal for Michigan. That was our only SOG in the period until the empty netter. Michigan was scuffling until then.

2 Likes

Pulling the goalie MUCH sooner and always playing your best outfielders to the pull field of the hitter are my two Way Out There Sports Strategies

Final Four game day for Hockey!! Let’s goo :part_alternation_mark:

10 Likes

4pm CT puck drop?!

Yes, ESPN2 4:00 CT, 5:00 ET

1 Like

I know very little about hockey but I’m seeing Michigan as low as -150 ML and Michigan over 4.5 Team goals +150. Anyone think those are worth taking? Just going to put a free bet on it if I take the over or small wager on ML.

Not a ton of modeling exists out there but there is one Bradley-Terry model that gets published regularly that you can easily convert to a Vegas line:

KRACH ratings are given in odds ratios, so Michigan’s 775.9 rating divided by Denver’s 469.1 rating gives Michigan about 1.65 to 1 odds of winning. Which is equivalent to a 62% chance, or a -165 line.

In case you want to check my arithmetic, no guarantees there.

Re: the Bradley-Terry model, I believe you can fit them with goal differential but this one doesn’t appear to be. Whatever model Vegas is using, I would imagine they’re at least including goal differential, probably some kind of custom home ice advantage adjustment and possibly injury adjustments. I’d guess they’re not taking a ton of money on these games so the model is prob relatively weak all things considered.

2 Likes

I’ve been shooting softball, lately. Michigan’s had a bit of a struggle to start conference play this season, but they put one on Sparty last night. Hopefully, the team is warming up along with the weather.

5 Likes

I know a fair bit about hockey, but I know nothing about betting. I know Michigan is good as is Denver, it IS the Frozen Four, after all, but Michigan is the favorite, and if we play well…But I know nothing of the numbers you put up. Good luck! :wink:

2 Likes