Michigan left with few answers after Penn State loss

I agree with you on Johns and I would not mind if Howard created more pen downs for Johns because on most occasions he will have the strength and athleticism to score or get fouled although he seems to not get those whistles like on one play last night in the second half. But out of all the players on the team I feel he can take it the strongest to the hoop. At this point force feed and live with the mistakes.

1 Like

If the first two months didn’t happen and expectations weren’t altered, this Michigan team of the last month is probably what most were expecting - a team with a lot of flaws but just good enough talent to be on the right side of the tourny bubble depending on a few good breaks.

The biggest problem is UM just doesn’t have guys that can consistenly make buckets, either on their own or off catch and shoot. They do have the guys that can make those shots on any given game and that’ll carry them through the rest of the season, but not with any consistentcy.

1 Like

It is important to remember that Michigan hasn’t had its second best player for the last month.

Seems like everyone wants to say Michigan is either that good (November) or this bad (January). In truth, like always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

13 Likes

Woah Dylan chill out with the hot takes

7 Likes

Who has “bolted” and not gotten drafted? But thanks for the blanket negativity.
[oh I forgot, you think DDJ is the best offensive player on the team}

2 Likes

and that is exactly what happened

Manny Harris

the exception proves the rule [andhe should have been]

1 Like

Open threes aren’t “good looks” if the people taking them aren’t very good at making them which is the case for most of our rotation without Livers.

1 Like

I think its more about getting our players the ball in positions where they have the best chance of scoring more than pure lack of talent.

For example way back when… Irvin had a nice mid range game coming off a elbow pick moving to his right.

So the question in my mind is what skills do our guys have and how best to use them. All of which have limitations for sure but again its about putting them in a position where they have the best chance to succeed. For example Johns Jr putting the ball on the floor is probably not a good choice. Zavier taking 8 shots behind the arc probably not a good idea.

For that matter Coach B recruited shooters. In order to get shooters room something else has to happen especially when they simply stand in the corner. Feed a post threat or have someone that can get downhill and finish.

We have moved away from feeding the post and we have a whopping one guy in the starting line up (Zavier) and one guy from the bench (DDJ) that have the will to even try to get down hill.

I see the only option being some sort of motion offense where the ball moves far more, but that as we all know is not something that Zavier does naturally.

I agree that we don’t have great shooters, but disagree that these aren’t good looks.

They’re performing poorly, but most of these kids should be shooting close to 30% (conservative) on open catch-and-shoot situations. If they’d combined to do so, we probably win 2 of the last 3.

2 Likes

Maybe the question is what shooting percentage relates to an open 3 being a good shot? Especially if its early in the shot clock where as a better shooter could get the same or the same shooter could get a shot where they have a far higher percentage chance of getting a make?

Z is the leader and dominant figure on the team but I think Livers is probably our best player simply because his size makes him a slightly more impactful defender than Z (we debated this at the end of last year if I remember right but I still think it’s true, especially after another game where Winston did his thing easily) and 3pt shooting ability.

What Z does at his size with his lack of shooting is incredible, but I’d rather have Livers and the spacing and defensive size he provides even if it means that guys who can’t create like Z have to each take a few more possessions a game.

The efficiency numbers on DeJulius stepback 3s, the occasional Teske or Wagner post-up and Livers pullup 2 off the dribble you might need to add with the shotclock under 10 probably aren’t very good, but all those shots probably also go in a tick more with an average shooter at the point spacing the floor. Obviously Zs drives and most importantly his passing (particularly to Teske) would be lost with him out.

I’m meandering, but my point is Z gives and takes a lot but Livers just gives, so I’m not sure he isn’t our best player. The NBA will certainly think so.

If our best player is someone that can’t manage more than 17% USG in a season while also not being a “shutdown your best player defender” than well no wonder our team has issues

Nba draft stock also does not determine best player on a college team.

2 Likes

I would say it should at least be over 30 % and probably over 33 % but I haven’t done the analytics

Should be? By what measure? They certainly aren’t shooting that well and haven’t in their careers so I am not sure why you think they should be shooting 30%.

I guess what I mean is, in an open catch-and-shoot scenario, kids with shooting skill like Franz, Eli, DDJ, Teske, and BJJ (and most D1 basketball players) “should be” able to knock in 3 out of 10.

I get it, they’re not. But I don’t think they can’t. Thus, I said should be.

My general point was that despite all the warts we have, if we knock down open jump shots, we could be winning some games here. And I do think they’re considered good looks, which was my only disagreement with you.

After this stretch I think without question livers has proven to be our most valuable player. I would have probably said z before or stated that all three were interchangeable in importance.

Now without question to me livers is the best player and our mvp. I think if z was out ddj could come in and be more than capable of leading the team. Our offense would be far better than the current one if it was ddj, Eli, Franz, livers, teske vs z, Brooks, Franz, Johns, teske.

This should show the NCAA livers should be on the wooden watch when he returns. His team is a borderline top ten team with him , possibly top 5 in the country, he gets hurt and they are a team who might struggle to make the nit.

Agreed. Theyre far too good if shooters go missing in wide open looks like this. Ddj, eli, Johns, and Franz should all shoot in the 35-40 range.

This forum needs a power rankings for going to the garden to eat worms.