Michigan left with few answers after Penn State loss

The offense has been mostly good without Livers until PSU! And that was mostly thanks to X. DDJ has frankly been really bad for most of this stretch also. Don’t see replacing Livers for X we get any better. That’s a crazy overreaction to one game.

But even still, if you think they would be better, that doesn’t make Livers better than X. It just means his replacements are way worse.

7 Likes

One of the things I really liked about Juwan’s offense (back in his tenure’s vintage days of Atlantis) was the ability to generate open jump shots. I know the team shot way over it’s head in Atlantis, but most teams play Michigan’s perimeter players as the shooting threats they are. Of course this opens up post up opportunities and the PnR.

As this slump (water returning to it’s level?) continues, why should opposing teams not sag off shooters? Why not embrace your inner Iowa and let Michigan fire away? For all of the folks who want more post ups, defending teams are going to make Teske kick the ball out every time. I know I would.

Because even though Jon is our most consistent offense currently, nobody is terrified of him getting the ball in the post. So why take the chance of our guys getting hot? Most teams that have someone who can challenge him respectably are able to bring a guy off Z if at all and otherwise stay home or somewhat tethered to their assignment and play straight up.

I guess I meant he’s our mvp or most irreplaceable it looks like. I’ve seen moments when x was in foul trouble for instance in the Bahamas where the team looked great even with him on the bench. Have not seen that with livers on the bench.

Very much has to do with his replacements but also we are just a bad defensive team right now so we have to out score opponents. Can’t do that without livers it appears. Also his three ball is key as we struggle from the outside.

1 Like

Yes but that was back in the bahamas when DDJ and Brooks were both shooting 50% from 3. We lost the Iowa game because Simpson had to come out for foul trouble. Overall we can’t really afford an injury to Simpson, Teske, or Livers.

3 Likes

Oh I agree. I love x and have been a staunch supporter from early on, I don’t want it to seem like I’m knocking him at all. I was just answering another post about livers. I think the biggest take away for me is just how valuable Isaiah is to this team. I thought they could survive without him but ended up wondering if his skill set might just have been the most irreplaceable for the current construction of the roster. Not what I saw coming.