Michigan at Michigan State Discussion Thread

Thanks for the full quote.

I fully disagree Davis can keep Ward in check. I think thatā€™d be a disaster matchup.

At least it sounds like Moe is playing tomorrow, so all a moot point anyway.

Sounds like thatā€™s the case, where heā€™s not too bad and will play. I was fully going off if he is legit injured and was at risk of not playing.

I just donā€™t think Ward is a player to be feared. I would never change my defense in fear of a matchup with him, especially go to a defense that plays to his strengths.

Of course Davis on Ward is not ideal, but Davis is a big strong young man and more than capable of putting his body between Ward and the basket. Davis might foul out in three minutes!! Heā€™s a work in progress!!

We have next to no evidence that Davis can contribute against a high level opponent as MSU, let alone be good enough to take away a strength of one of better play players in the country.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lot more to post defense than just being strong. Technique and D-IQ are vital.

Haha he just might foul out in three minutes in that matchup! I feel bad, Iā€™m not putting down Davis whatsoever. Iā€™m just solely going off of this being in East Lansing, against a mountain of a man in Ward.

Do I think Ward is some top level pro? Not at all, I donā€™t think heā€™s elite. I do think he would look elite against Davis in this situation.

1 Like

We are advocating that Austin Davis could defend Nick Ward? Ward is a dominant post scorer. Heā€™ll be a problem. He also has the tendency to take himself out of games mentally sometimes and Izzo has a habit of going away from him when he gets frustrated. Key for U-M will be forcing a few early TO off of him and maybe MSU doesnā€™t focus there as often.

1 Like

True. My point is going to a zone is likely to make the situation worse. State and Ward are proficient at offensive rebounding, going to a zone is likely to give Ward unimpeded access to the rim. Not a good idea. Putting a body between Ward and the rim is a much better idea. If Davis has a strength at this point, I believe it will be using his ample frame to box out and rebound. High on Michiganā€™s list of priorities tomorrow is keeping MSU off the offensive glass; I donā€™t see a zone helping accomplish this goal.

I am advocating playing a zone is a bad idea. The alternative seems to be playing man to man, in that alternative, I suggest the best plan is to keep a man between Ward and the basket. Pretty basic stuff

I donā€™t disagree re: zone, but I donā€™t think Davis will be able to hold his own against Ward no matter what. We donā€™t know if he has any strengths at this point in his career.

True. Davis has no track record. No dispute here

1 Like

Ward doesnā€™t play that much - less than 50% of Spartyā€™s minutes - so itā€™s more likely Davis would be checking Schilling or Tillman. Whether he can keep either of them in check is still unknown.

I think he can at least hold his own with those two, just a matter of if he can without fouling. Youā€™d have to pray Teske stays out of foul trouble though.

I canā€™t help but agree about playing some small ball with Livers at the five. This particularly applies if Moe is not being effective for one reason or another. I think that we need to make sure we leverage our advantages instead just trying to react to what Izzo is doing. When push comes to shove 3 is worth more than 2 so would take us going blow for blow with our offensive mismatch vs the one that we would create for State

1 Like

It would be really interesting to see wouldnā€™t it? If Ward is playing well, going small would put him right on the bench. Thereā€™s absolutely no way he could stay on the court with a small 5.

Another reason to be excited about next year is I think that team could be successful changing it up at times with a small ball lineup. Beilein will have the options to dictate any type of game he wants.

1 Like

Jaren Jackson is a big problem here. MSU could simply slide him to the 5. They have barely ever done that this year, but Jackson is certainly capable.

1 Like

I guess the question becomes would you rather have Ward and Jackson on the court? Or just Jackson?

All hypothetical since heā€™s most likely playing, but if Wagner couldnā€™t play, Iā€™d take my chances removing Ward from the game. Robinson could stay on the court longer as well.

Classic Tom Izzo shrugging off Simpsonā€™s ā€œ35 footerā€ lol.

6 Likes