Juwan Howard Coaching Rumors - Summer 2022

I’d like to see someone outline a scenario where they can win a championship while paying Russell Westbrook $47 million (nearly 40% of the cap!!!).

1 Like

And the possibility of sticking with Lakers long term is virtually non-existent. They just fired a good coach in Vogel. JB was hired by the Cavs to be a tank commander and all he had to do was manage a locker room of nobodies and not trip over his own feet. At the Lakers, Juwan will be expected to go deep in the playoffs with a 39 year old who won’t be there much longer and a perennially injured All Star, along with the rest of the geriatrics on the squad.

As a Lakers fan, I would say their free agent pitch (“take less to come here to win a ring”) took a substantial hit this past year.

3 Likes

They don’t even have the ability pitch anybody unless they are willing to give up control of their picks through 2026 or 2028 to dump Westbrook.

who is the Michigan head coach for 22-23 if Juwan takes the Lakers job this summer?

1 Like

realistic candidate pool is horrific unless um will eat the nate oats 10 mil buyout(very unlikely for our cheap ad)

1 Like

They’ll always have the ability to sign at the vet minimum (and in fact will have to in order to fill out a roster). The ability to get guys that are actually worth more than that has helped them in the past two years, but is likely to be meaningfully harder next year.

If they can get rid of Russ the job will not be nearly as bad. The issue is that if Juwan comes in he’s tied to Lebron and will likely only be there as long as Lebron is.

You can’t realistically fill out a championship team with 11-12 vet mins…

No argument there…was just responding to the notion that they wouldn’t be pitching anybody.

2 Likes

Yeah, and it would be a coin flip or worse that that Lebron’s tenure in LA would even outlast his own kids’ in Ann Arbor.

1 Like

John Beilein I would think.

3 Likes

Where are we at in terms of Juwan Howard pay relative to other big ten coaches? Would be important to know in terms of how his name found his way onto Shams’ cellphone this morning. Because otherwise this is coming from Pelinka or Lebron

1 Like

I think he is third or fourth in the B1G

Interim coach Phil Martelli, IMO. Could make a legit case for Eisley or Saddi too

1 Like

I don’t think that would go well for Michigan this time. He is not an NIL-era coach

1 Like

You can make a case for all of the coaches except Martelli

1 Like

IMO, this definitely screams of Lebron wants his friend as the head coach and is pushing for it

3 Likes

That’s why I said “interim”

There is more than enough time before next season to make a permanent hire