Josh jackson

“So, uh, if you’re not dating anyone else, uh, would you want to, uh, hang out at Crisler?”

Obviously no actual aports news outlet is going to come out and say that, but I definitely remember reliable people with decent sources on the rivals insider board saying it within the past year and a half.

Maybe he will hang out in Ann Arbor since his girlfriend is playing for Michigan next year…

My buddy who played for Michigan is dating someone who plays for Michigan St.

Idk if I could do it.

Honestly, if you want to continue to be this naive about the recruitment of five star, #1 players, OK. I can’t stop you. Proof? Kentucky wouldn’t touch him. He attended a new prep school in Napa, California this past season (you know, that thriving hotbed of hoops) called “Prolific Prep” (and rumor is, his mom got paid $100k to send him there). Rumor also is that his mom (coach of his AAU program) received $250,000 from Under Armour to run the program.

But obviously, here’s the thing. Before Mo Taylor rolled his Ford Explorer, had you ever heard of Ed Martin before? Yet he had been paying players for a long time, right?

At this point, who would really have “proof”? I mean, can I send his mom a subpoena and ask to see her bank records? These things always come out after the fact, when someone odd happens (like Taylor rolling his expensive car, and people asking questions about where he got it), or when someone gets disgruntled (see Mo Clarett, the kid at Georgia who turned in Jim Harrick, the kid at Missouri who turned in Quin Snyder, etc., etc.)

But your explanation is that our coach is intentionally NOT recruiting really talented kids? So John Beilein is literally the dumbest basketball coach on the planet? There’s a kid in his backyard that’s a surefire NBA talent, but John Beilein doesn’t want him? And yet he’s so dumb, he managed to recruit six NBA players in the past four years (Burke, Hardaway, McGary, Nik, Glenn, Caris), take a team to the title game, take another team to the Elite Eight, and win two Big Ten titles? That is amazing.

Oh, and by the way, Tommy Amaker (who’s doing a fine job at Harvard) must be really stupid too, since he landed only one McDonalds All American at Michigan. Did he not realize he could have been recruiting better players?

I’m sure they did reach out to Jackson, just like they hosted Jaylen Brown this time last year, to see if he’s recruitable. My strong guess is, probably not.

3 Likes

I am not being naïve. I hope Jackson’s mother paid 100k for her to son to play at a prep school. How do these prep schools survive without an enrollment fee tuition? It costs 47,000 for one year at Montverde Academy. It costs 72,000 for a year at IMG.

You’re just a self loathing Michigan fan. You probably pumped your fists when Mary Sue Coleman went in front of the media and said “today is a great day of shame for the University of Michigan.”

Also I never said Beilein is intentionally not recruiting these kids. He certainly isn’t putting as much effort into certain kids. If you construe that as intentionally not recruiting these kids so be it.

Put it this way I don’t like you in the least how about you don’t respond to my posts and I will do so in return.

Calling someone else a self-loathing fan? That’s great.

Many of the kids that go to these “prep schools” are on full scholarship. If they aren’t on a full they could be on a partial scholarship as well. I’m sure Jackson and his family aren’t paying anything to go to Prolific Prep but neither was Harry Giles when he went to Oak Hill. I’m sure Jayson Tatum isn’t paying much or anything at all for him to go to Chaminade in St. Louis. In the Detroit area, I highly doubt Cassius Winston is paying the full tuition (I don’t know that as a fact but it is the norm at most private schools that are good at sports).

Schools like Prolific, IMG, etc make money off the kids that think they are big time but aren’t and they pay close to the full tuition or full tuition. This is nothing new and has been going on for years. For example, at IMG it costs $70K to go there and they have four or five teams. They school gives the basketball program roughly 16 scholarships total for all of those teams. That’s a lot of other kids paying a ton of tuition.

I wonder how much Chris Webber paid to go Country Day?

Yeah, the top athletes are not paying a thing. They are on scholarship. Also, a lot of the poor and middle class kids that are just students at private schools are not paying anything close to full price. The full price tag is for the Rich and not particularly talented.

I can personally speak on DCD - trust me when I tell you, if a private school wants you, the tuition will be made affordable. This is true for any private school that is competitive in sports.

1 Like

It’s all a matter of how much does that private school want to “play the game.” If there is a true emphasis on athletics, then tuition will be either be very low or nothing. Administration is the one that makes the emphasis. It’s very similar to how some D3 private colleges operate as well. When administration wants athletics to do well then all of a sudden there is an uptick in talent for most sports.

I don’t know the specifics in the Jackson situation. From an outside perspective, I see his “recruitment” as a little fishy. The reason I say this is because he has an AAU team run by his mother and then goes to a new “prep” school where he is THE guy. All these types of things have happened before. AAU teams start all the time with the expectation that they have players. The more “players” they have, the more money they receive from the sneaker companies. The prep school thing just happened with DeAndre Ayton with Balboa Prep (I believe that was the name) and then him and Marvin Bagley teamed up for a little bit to have a team for Hillcrest Prep, a “prep school” in Arizona. Bagley then left because of the potential issues with the NCAA down the road.

Does all of this mean that his recruitment is "dirty?’ No it doesn’t. These top level kids are given so much stuff throughout their high school career that it has become the “norm.” He’d be a great fit at UM but he’d be a great fit anywhere. Love how hard he plays.

1 Like

PP is not even a school. It’s basketball academy. The players attend a local high school.

Same thing as Huntington Prep and Findlay Prep. I believe Balboa City Prep (where Ayton went initially) was the same way as well.

It used to be if a school had boarding, they could offer athletic grants, like DCD and Orchard Lake St Mary. Where as if they didn’t, like US Jesuit, or most private schools, they could only offer financial aid through work study and academic scholarships. Not sure if it still works that way.

Meant UD Jesuit

I think you totally misunderstood - she received 100k to send her kid there. That’s the rumor.

And you’re totally wrong. I really hated Mary Sue Coleman’s comments. I thought they were totally out of line, and evidenced a real lack of understanding as to what really transpires with college basketball recruiting. If you want to get five star kids, you have to be nice to the Ed Martins of the world.

But my feelings are irrelevant. I’m trying to get you to understand that the Martin scandal was a huge embarrassment to an athletic department that prided itself (or at least, so it thought) on running a clean program. I was the same class as the Fab Five - I loved that team. But as you probably noticed during the documentary, many Michigan fans did not love that team. Michigan’s a football school, and an elite academic institution. Right or wrong, they think they are above the fray when it comes to basketball recruiting. The prevailing attitude is that we would rather be a good, scandal free basketball program and make the tourney in most years, than be a great program that has to cheat. The 1980s and 1990s teams were on par with Kentucky and Kansas when it comes to recruiting - both methods and results. We’re not going back to that.

I’m a realist. In an environment where we’re not going to compete for most five star recruits, I want someone who I think is a great coach, and a guy who can spot underrated talent. And I think Beilein’s pretty darn good at both.

5 Likes

^ Honestly I couldn’t have possibly said it better myself. I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of our athletic department and the goals they have for our basketball program.

After Jalen and Juwan left, we were only on a par with those schools in recruiting. Consistent underachievers. Some really bad apples.

As for MSC’s statement, this was by far the worst episode in Michigan sports history. We went beyond being nice to EM. Fisher made him a booster when he knew the score on EM. I mean, Perry Watson was his top assistant. The rollover years later was on a return trip from a party paid for by EM at a Detroit hotel. And EM was not handing out birthday cakes.

Who do we need to be “nice” to now, and how nice do we need to be? If we cheated now, would we be a “great program?” Where do you stand LAW? Cheat to be great?

Well stated LAW1…this is the best summation of Michigan recruiting I’ve read on this site in two years!

1 Like

In no way is anyone here going to condone Ed Martin, but people like him are features, not bugs, of a system that hovers over very, very poor kids, isolates a few, leaves most of these to languish, and bets on enormous enormous sums accruing to a very very few. This fact distorts the whole system through and through. A lot of these features may not BE racist, but they certainly grow out of our history. And they can’t be disconnected from the fact that a lot of people were very, very threatened by the Fab V, including the open insistence by several of its members that they deserved to be PAID in a system that others were profiting from. Not all of these issues are ones that we can assign simple positives and negatives to; got to recognize that fact.

While Beilein seems to have some blind spots, his dedication to playing it as fairly as he can and by the book is, happily, what we have inherited, even while it may limit his success. I’d love it if he was hipper myself, but that doesn’t mean that a lot of parents don’t like him for EXACTLY what he is. Three years ago we played in the national title game, so he has succeeded beyond many of our wildest dreams. Then he lost a LOT of players to injury and the NBA. Next year is a big year, whether we his supporters like it or not. But he has a lot more talent at his disposal than detractors recognize. I think we’re going to be alright, myself.