Jaron Faulds joins Michigan as preferred walk-on

Michigan native went to Holt and played last year at Columbia. Solid preferred walk on commit.

9 Likes

Nice get. It always seems to be harder to get post players to walk on since anyone 6’10 or taller in high school usually gets offered by at least one D1 program.

I assume transfer walk-ons have to sit a year just like any other transfer, but I’m sure he’ll provide good help for the scout team this year.

2 Likes

6’10 225ish out of Holt HS. Detroit News had him Second Team Class A All-State in 2017, Freep had him First Team All-State. 3.5 star prospect, it seems who, I believe, Michigan recruited for a while out of high school. Signed with and played a year at Columbia where he was the center piece of their 2017 recruiting class. If he’s a walk on it doesn’t really matter much if he has to sit a year, since walk on players don’t usually see much real playing time anyway, but he can still practice and contribute in a lot of ways in that role. If anyone has more info on the young man, please fill us in.

3 Likes

He will have to sit out 2018-9, correct, even though he is walking on at Michigan?

Looks like he played EYBL for the Family and made the Nike Top 100 during the summer after his sophomore year. Someone listed him as the sixth ranked HS player in Michigan during his senior year. One poster talked of some epic battles between him and Brandon Johns in HS, and also said he can “swat the s#*t out of it!” Transferring from Columbia so has to be really smart. OK, going to MICHIGAN so has to be really smart!

1 Like

pretty solid numbers, just needs to clean up the turnovers and fouls.

Sorry, was driving earlier.

Faulds played EYBL for two seasons (The Family and then Meanstreets). He’s camped at UM a couple times over the years if I recall correctly. Didn’t post huge numbers at Columbia 4.5 points, 3.2 rebounds in 14.2 minutes per game, but he’s a solid big man with good footwork in the post. More of a traditional around the basket big guy than a stretch shooter.

He does still have to sit out as a transfer this season, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be the scout team big man. He’ll also have there years of eligibility remaining which gives him a chance to fill in the rotation later in his career potentially.

1 Like

Added some video to the front page …

1 Like

I will never not be impressed by your speed at finding game footage and getting highlights of a specific player from it.

3 Likes

I believe he works at krossover.

Interesting that two of the Columbia’s better freshmen transferred out and both went to “high major” programs as walk-ons. Other is Myles Hanson, who transferred to Xavier (MN kid).

Worked not works.

1 Like

Are you a free agent now? If so…

He does some work for The Athletic.

Dylan:
Anything out there about how DJ Carton’s visit went?

He’s at Indiana now. Try to get some feedback after that. Not many official visits that go poorly though. Said this in another thread, but it is hard to have a bad all expenses paid trip.

Even if it is bad, the kids and the people around them will spin it to make it sound like it was ok.