Isaiah Livers announces return to Michigan

Is it bad that I have more confidence in true frosh TWill than junior Nunez? Hopefully he proves me wrong, but it hasn’t been there yet.

Any expectation as to when we will know about Chaundee?

2 Likes

I could see more 2 than 4 from Chaundee as well but I still dont love it. I think both Franz and Livers could easily play the 4 if Chaundee were to sub in and play the 3.

I love your prop of Johns as well. He really has such a high ceiling and could be the wild card here. I think Johns is more of the type of player that Howard wants to see at the 4 and could push everything to a big line-up. I am not sure who will be the odd man out there… Could we see Brooks, Franz, Livers, Johns, and Dickinson (or Davis?) with super transfer subs of Smith and Brown?

1 Like

In the whole world there must be something that could make me happier than Isaiah coning back, but I’m not sure it is anything realistic.

Coronavirus vaccine.

25 Likes

My guess as well that Juwan’s ideal version of Johns is at the 4 and not the 5. If you really can get 35 minutes a night from Davis and Dickinson, then that big lineup holds some appeal for me too if Franz is able to be the primary playmaker. Smith and Brown would definitely be ideal primary subs to complement that starting lineup.

2 Likes

Very interesting. I can’t tell if I prefer brown now or next year. He certainly would be needed more next year but I’m going to go greedy and shoot for a contender this year.

My guess

Smith
Eli
Franz
Livers
Johns

I could see it being matchup based though at times. Hoping Eli, smith, Brown, and Johns all buy in. Minutes should be similar for all.

Great day

2 Likes

Another great day to be a MICHIGAN WOLVERINE! We love it!

Yeah Baby.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I can’t see Brooks NOT STARTING period.

5 Likes

Brooks, Livers and Wagner are your locked in starters IMO.

15 Likes

I love that one Dylan.

I agree; I would be stunned if any of those 3 are healthy and not starting Game 1.

1 Like

You betcha!

I’d personally add smith as almost a lock. I’m higher on him than many but his skill set fits perfectly with our biggest question mark and need. I love Eli but I can’t see him as our primary ball handler/ distributor. It’s just not his game. Secondary he is a nice option.

I’m expecting a monster year for smith. The on ball screen game with brown, livers, Johns and co surrounding is going to be a nightmare for defenses.

3 Likes

I agree. I think this offense will work best with everyone at their best positions. My pick is a starting lineup of Smith, Brooks, Wagner, Livers, and probably Johns…though I like the idea of Dickinson playing with the starters. Then I agree with Dylan that Brown is ideally the sixth man and plays as much as a starter.

3 Likes

I hope you are right on Smith. I just remember poy mac transfer Jaaron Simmons season too well. One thing Smith has going for him is he doesn’t have to grasp the JB offense though.

1 Like

Obviously I have concerns about Smith’s defense and size at the B10 level. But I think what separates him from Simmons (among other things) is that he had far more usage last year and much lower TO%. I think he can be more of a facilitator and shooter - focused on getting the ball to Wagner, Livers, Brooks, and others.

I also think Juwan is going to give him a longer leash than JB gave Simmons…mostly because of the other options being Eli playing a lot of PG or a true-freshman Jackson having a larger role after barely playing in the past year. I think 25mpg for Smith with 37% 3pt shooting and a decent Assist/TO ratio is realistic. Just try not to look at the defensive stats since I’m not sure who he guards.

I liked how Smith lit up Wake Forest last year and at least had a mediocre game against an elite Virginia defense…without any useful teammates.

4 Likes

Smith was winging the ball to shooters right out of his screens all game vs. Wake. I was impressed by the speed at which he saw openings.

2 Likes

Let’s hope our wings make (or even catch) more passes than his Columbia teammates. So many wide open shots missed by those guys.

2 Likes

I’m slightly higher on Smith after watching how he handled high major opponents…but, have to believe he is no better than 50-50 to start. Juwan and staff have put together a lot of “positionless” players and will put the group out there that works the best together based on practices, scrimmages, etc. Smith could definitely be in the group, or he very well may come off the bench.

I know it’s fun to talk about minutes and starting “locks” in the offseason but I’ll start to put weight into things when we hear more about practices and scrimmages.

2 Likes