Game 22: Michigan at Iowa Open Thread

Lol. This game is laughable at this point. They have played so bad. It’s amazing how good they have made Iowa’s defense look

Agree this loss will be a positive. Disagree they have a long way to go.

1 Like

If you can’t score against Iowa you can’t win against Iowa. Reminds of Jim thinking he could play the same game against Urban that he played against the rest of the conference.

1 Like

59 points against Iowa is embarrassing.

2 Likes

A really good team puts up 90 against Iowa and punishes them for who they are. Got some work to do.

I hope Michigan never regresses to the point where the fans storm the court after winning a conference home game.

4 Likes

Iowa left their starters in the last 2 minutes when we had our bench in.

2 losses, 2 opposing court storms. We’ve made it.

5 Likes

Utterly ridiculous night. That shot was the perfect ending, We were terrible, refs were terrible, our luck was terrible, just a garbage night.

59 points against the worst defense in the conference. What in the actual F.

1 Like

This is exactly what I feared coming into this game. This team has a one-track mind. Win every game 60-50. Some teams, shitty teams even, won’t allow you to do that. Adapt or become extinct.

R-E-L-A-X!!!

Beilein teams don’t play with a freedom to out talent teams. They don’t run and play the more possessions game. If you aren’t hitting shots, you can clank against any defense (cough cough December games). 59 against Iowa is because they didn’t hit shots and foul trouble got them wayyy out of flow.

Add to the fact they rarely play well in Iowa. Tonight is no big deal at all in the grand scheme of things. And no, I don’t think they’re losing sleep about the Big Ten conference standings.

5 Likes

Indeed, but probably not the right minutes, to be honest.

Many mistakes tonight. I still believe in the team though, but there are many issues to clean up. Brazdeikis struggles to finish at times on layups. Eli Brooks is scared to shoot off the bench. I think his release is too slow and is the reason he doesn’t look to shoot. Poole still has control issues, can be careless. Matthews was absent on offense. The team needs to learn to play better against multi-switch defenses in a game. Coach B has to teach the McGary Zone Busting game plan, but the team lacks knock down shooters.

Man, the officiating in the first 3 minutes ended it for Michigan with a lack of depth. I think the blessing in disguise is DeJulius, Castleton, and Johns got some run. I think Castleton was a positive. Austin Davis is a liability. Seems to be another Ricky Doyle.

Wisconsin and Iowa are two teams that have shown Michigan will struggle against teams playing two traditional bigs at a time. I worry about us against Maryland, and possibly a team like Tennessee, if we were to meet them.

I don’t think I expect ya to win any game when Teske only plays 1:30 in the first half, that being said, when had a horrible night and some horrible luck with calls and we’re only down by 5 with 10 to go. I totally agree that the sky isn’t falling after this one, just like the Wisconsin win tho we can let this one loss beat us twice, get a rest day and some practice before heading to Rutgers and pick up that win and then rock out Chrisler for Wisconsin and we will be good

1 Like

Regroup for Rutgers. Don’t let it become 2 Ls in a row. Nip it in the bud.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this with our offense. Matthews and Iggy are our biggest contributors offensively, using 24.3 and 24.6% of possessions respectively. Their respective assist rates are 7.7 and 7.4. I glanced at every other B1G team and at least 1 of the 2 biggest possession shareholders have assist rates of at least 14. With the large majority have both of those top 2 guys with assist rates >14.

I think this confirms what I’ve been noticing offensively with this team. The ball sticks in Iggy and Matthews’ hands. Whenever they start a drive it basically ends in either a turnover or a shot. Neither Matthews or Iggy can create plays for their teammates but they’re also required to take such a big role in the offense.

Combine that with the fact that Simpson is relatively offensively challenged (no shot and not necessarily big enough to consistently drive), but is a great distributor with a 33.4 assist rate.

Then Poole who I think is our biggest playmaker, but he is out of control at times has been turnover prone when trying to use more possessions.

It just all adds up to a pretty dysfunctional offense imo. Especially when we’re a pretty poor 3pt shooting team overall.

9 Likes

Yep 100%! Next five games setup very nicely to gain momentum back. Just don’t overlook Rutgers, which isn’t the best team to play when you’re struggling offensively but get the W and get back on track.

I truly truly believe this loss is going to be good for them. Obviously didn’t want them to lose, but the way it happened I think will ignite them a bit. That was frustrating for them, good to go through that like Nebraska last year.

1 Like

Dead on. 3 of the 4 primary playmakers are somewhat one-dimensional, despite all being dynamic in their own way. Poole is the most versatile but streaky and careless. Add that up and it’s one of the strangest puzzles for Beilein to solve in his career.

IMO the offense is struggling due to no rhythm, not because they don’t have the pieces. They’re not coexisting well right now like earlier in the year.

Obviously missed shots are a HUGE part of that, but I believe they’re missing those shots because of that lack of rhythm. They’re not far away, and in fact, could just take one game to get there - a la @Maryland last year. Don’t forget that second half is exactly what got Charles going again.

3 Likes