Game 18: Penn State at Michigan Recap

Remember when instead of Eli getting a catch and shoot corner three Johns caught the ball standing one foot in front of him?

4 Likes

I had just gone and read the rest of the game thread. RIP. That used to be a spirited forum. Casualty of greater site success/growth.

1 Like

I went to the game, so I have not read the game thread yet. I take it you donā€™t recommend spending the time to read it?

1 Like

I do remember that spacing and frankly I donā€™t know which player should have cleared out. I do know last night Brooks was 4 for 12 total 1 for 5 on 3s, Johns was 6 for 10 total and 1 for 3 on 3s. Johns had 5 offensive rebounds and 2 defensive. I like the way Johns goes after the ball on the offensive glass giving the team another opportunity to score. Last night Iā€™d rather have Johns shoot the three before Brooks his percentage was higher.

In addition Johns in all reality is playing real mintues in only his 6th game of the season, it will take time to become acclimated to the other players. I donā€™t think heā€™ll get that time as soon as Livers returns Johns will be the first off the floor.

2 Likes

I would never recommend that. :joy:

7 Likes

:joy: OKā€¦ would never want you to think the content here is not appreciated! 483 comments, wowā€¦ here I go!

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but Dylan was probably semi-serious that he wouldnā€™t recommend reading a game-threadā€¦especially after a loss :joy:

2 Likes

I only read game threads at a break. Hard to concentrate on the game otherwise.

I was completely serious. I know people enjoy them but I would never recommend going back and reading one unless it was some kind of psychological study. Yikes.

8 Likes

We must be watching different teams. :slight_smile: Johns is repeatedly out of position, making bad reads, and passing up open shots. He brings athleticism and energy, which is a need and something to build on, but itā€™s not enough to want to see for more than 10-15 mins a game at this point.

Not understanding wanting to see less of Johns at this point until Livers returns, though it seems many in here do. To me the bad reads is a timing issue from team chemistry remember this is Johns 7th true game coming up against Illinois. Many play a part in the team making good reads especially for a newbie like Johns. For examples Simpson, too much dribble, not enough lane penetration and distribution. Wagner constantly disappears after missing a shot like heā€™s scared to stay engaged. Teske seems out of it, could be heā€™s tired of watching the guards dribble around. Dejulius seems to think heā€™s being shorted in playing time, gets on the floor trying to get his points before heā€™s back on the pine. Brooks I have no complaint he seems to be doing what heā€™s capable of doing. At least as you said Johns brings energy and about the only one on the team besides Davis that does. When we take a shot, almost anyone not named Johns is usually between the 3 point line and half court instead of going for the board and putback. With 4 out of 5 players already retreated the opponent gets out in transition crossing the halfcourt line within a few seconds.
I like what Iā€™ve seen from Johns much more than any other player that was a 12 mintue per game player 12 games into the season. Castleton is simply to weak to play his position in the B1G. I think when Livers returns and Johns returns to his roll this will benefit the team at the right time. I really hope Wagner improves to the player I think he could be.