Franz Wagner declares for 2021 NBA Draft

7 Likes

The Wagner brothers will be UM hoop legend forever. Not sure if Moe graduated but I believe that both of them will have their Michigan degrees some day.

9 Likes

This feels right. Another year would have been so wonderful, and it’s crazy to ponder that the Wagners have come and gone already, one of them without getting to play in multiple offseasons, but time flies and we had a heck of a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing Franz tap into that crazy upside he has as a pro.

Someday Dylan will get a vacation without a big story dropping in the middle.

2 Likes

This. X100. Just an important moment in Juwan’s early tenure. And gave us so much excitement for two years.

Really appreciate Franz and will be closely following his NBA career.

1 Like

We have former Michigan assistants plus current assistant to thank for because they kept recruiting Franz when Michigan basketball was in limbo. Without their effort, I don’t think Michigan would’ve gotten Franz.

6 Likes

“Wagner is the second in his family to leave the Wolverines after his sophomore season.”

It’s just a little oversight, I know. And this time not the kind that will spread a fatal disease and get the whole AD shut down for three weeks. Still. FFS. The athletes pursue excellence; the administration should at least aim for competence. Get the basic facts right about your program legends.

4 Likes

Just read his Players Tribune piece. An eloquent and graceful last act.

8 Likes

We knew it was coming. Glad he gets to go on, and I’m happy for him. With his unique skill set, particularly his subtle but massive defensive impact that required close attention to appreciate, he was both fun and rewarding to watch.

1 Like

Wasn’t my information to share, but if I’m dead silent on something as important as this, it’s usually a sign I know something :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Good for Franz. Staying another year never made any sense to me.

I too knew he would probably declare also. Just making for fun discussion for you guys in this long off season. I think the final roster is now set for the 21/22 season. Let’s go for the great 22 class. Go Blue.

5 Likes

Franz Wagner truly knows how great it is to be a Michigan Wolverine. Hey at @ therealmirman since it sounds like you now Franz personally please let him know how this board feels and how we appreciated him these 2 years. I hope Franz has access to this site to read all these great comments. You will truly be missed.
If he reads just one I hope its Silverblue’s. That says it all.:wink:

8 Likes

Love Franz and will always appreciate him. Loved his passion and the way he played the game.

I think most of all, I will just appreciate his initial choice to come to Michigan in the first place. I recall his official visit happened when we literally had no coach and he was being shown around by assistants who didn’t even know if they would still be at UM themselves. Most people on this forum assumed we had no chance with him. So for him to take that leap of faith and be such a critical figure in Juwan’s first 2 years is something we should all appreciate.

12 Likes

He was literally in the airport in Berlin when the news about JB dropped IIRC

4 Likes

This sort of thing irritates me a lot as a fan.

ESPN and CBS writers make these errors with regularity, and as a close follower of college basketball, it angers me that people who are paid to know these things don’t even check basic facts before publishing.

6 Likes

Good point. Definitely harder to get it right as media when the official press release fails to do so…

1 Like

Will definitely miss watching him play in maize and blue. Awfully grateful he took a chance on Juwan. Coming into the 2019-20 season we were losing our top 3 wings/scorers early to the NBA and our top forward recruit after Beilein left. Getting Franz definitely helped the transition as others said. That season could’ve been pretty ugly without him.

He’s still younger than some of the guys going at the top of the draft so he’s got so much room to grow. If he can find a consistent jump shot, he’ll be one of the better pros this program has produced recently.

4 Likes

Yeah, although it made me sad, it would have made me mad at Franz if he risked his golden ticket. He’s already got one, he had to go.

1 Like

Damn, wish I did lol. I just know someone who knows someone who knows him :joy:

The chain happens to be solid when it comes to certain tidbits they’re kind enough to share but the price of info is respecting the request to zip it!

2 Likes