Four thoughts on Michigan's 2019-20 non-conference schedule

Should be some time in August.

1 Like

Could have anywhere between 1-6 nonconference losses. I’m guessing 3-4 is most likely. Team will have to hit the ground running to be a top 25 team. Glad we got Franz, or I’d be concerned about our NCAA tourney chances.

Seems like one of the hardest non-conf schedules Michigan has had in recent memory. I’m worried since we have a new coach adapting to the college game during this stretch

I can’t wait. This team will be better than advertised IMO. Simpson will be out for blood and there won’t be distractions to slow him down this year.

I remember how good this Mich team looked early in the year last year.

1 Like

Love your optimism! A strong start (beating Creighton, 2-1 in Bahamas, and splitting Oregon & Louisville) would be fantastic. 9-2 non-conf would be my top end expectation. More realistically, I think we go 7-4 and take some lumps against Louisville and probs UNC.

I expect to lose a few as well. I am just love teams with a lot of experience and talent. Michigan has 3 players who are Seniors/Juniors who will be the core of their team. These guys have won more games at Michigan during the regular season, the NCAA’s and the out of conf seasons than most Michigan players to ever suit up. Juwan caught a major break stepping in with this team and with this PG. I also believe how you lose games will say something. How we play against Louisville and NCar will show a lot…potentially even in a loss.

3 Likes

Feels like Creighton, Iowa State, Oregon are the swing games to the non-conference schedule. Probably close to a toss up and winning those three will keep everything in balance even with expected losses to UNC or at Louisville. Tough part is that they are very loseable too.

2 Likes

Agreed. I estimate Creighton, Iowa State, and Oregon to all be around where Michigan is at rankings-wise. Good thing none are true road games. Very nervous for the Louisville game. Flying back from the Bahamas and then going to KY is not exactly a chill way to do non-conf

1 Like

The exempt tourney, Big Ten/ACC Challenge, pair of Big Ten games is just a really miserable stretch. Shouldn’t be as bad as when Michigan came back from Maui two years ago, but that is tough.

MSU is at home but hosting Duke right after Maui is brutal too.

1 Like

I briefly forgot about Big Ten play right after the Louisville game! Haha I am rooting for a Northwestern/Rutgers split in Dec. Michigan will need a breather

That 17 day stretch called out in the piece could really cloud Michigan’s season if it goes poorly. 5-6 losses before Jan 1st would make for a nerve-racking B10 schedule

Early Torvik lines:

2 Likes

Torvik has MSU as 3 points better than Louisville, who he has ranked #4

Is the Torvik analysis pre Wagner?

Nope. Includes him in his projections.

This doesn’t include Battle for Atlantis, which is fair since the bracket progress is harder to predict. Add a win there and one in the big ten tourney and you get to 19 wins. A fair over/under might be 20 wins for this club