Five thoughts on Michigan hiring Juwan Howard

if my son was a senior in high school and i could be part of a staff that props up a first time head coach… looks a lot better on me in next years head coaching interviews than assisting an established coach at texas (assuming next year isnt a disaster for um), while also not burning bridges at um and getting a raise

1 Like

Yaklich is young. This might be a great experience for him. I would encourage Yaklich to view this as part of the process, which will eventually propel his career forward, rather than have him dwell on petty and short sighted concerns of his own ego.

What if you are an associate head coach at Texas and an assistant coach at Michigan?

1 Like

Might not mean much in a year though right? Associate Head Coach to an open chair.

comes down to the pay at that point as im not someone for titles meaning anything (money talks), but if thats a deal breaker for yak, then thats on warde for not giving a title

i still think they go after beard or someone else. no way texas in his meeting with smart did shaka go “ya when i get canned you’ll get first look”. if you take that leap of faith and it works out, good for you

Do you disagree that any title or role that Yaklich is offered should be up to Juwan Howard, not Warde Manuel?

5 Likes

i don’t disagree, but i also don’t exactly expect it to work that way either. thats based on speculation tho that warde had some conditions on staff retention (yak being part of that)

Yes, 100%. AD’s should have no role in assistant coaches unless time has passed and something clearly needs to change.

1 Like

On logical merits your take is accurate. But we’re taking about a coach who initially turned down Illinois St to remain a HS coach because he was comfortable with the life he had. Add to it children who are in school…logic and normal takes are out the window.

I would think the more ideal option for Yaklich in his situation with his past background, would be one year at Michigan under Howard with Simpson/Teske leading another Top10 ranked defense and then making a jump elsewhere next spring with a full palate of options before him.

1 Like

He also has at least one other kid younger than his rising senior son. So maybe he figures there will be no “good” time to move so he may as well move now. Plus I think people are in general underestimating that it would be pretty awkward for him potentially

1 Like

Good points.

sure, but im assuming at latest, yak gets a head coach interview next season. why move twice in a year. also im taking the bet that howard may not work out in 3-4 years and i do my time and im right on top of michigan’s list and in the mean time, im asking for $$$ as i have leverage

I thought I read that Shaka’s strength was recruiting and defense and his weakness was offense. Then WHY would Yak want to go work for him when Yak’s strength is also recruiting and defense?

At least Yak can provide Howard with some help on the recruiting front, especially in Howard’s first year. Since Yak and Howard defensive strengths are somewhat duplicative/redundant, Howard’s defensive strength might be greater with centers/big guys and Yak with guards and wings.

I think Yak’s defense redundancy with Howard is less of an issue that Saddi’s big man training redundancy with Howard.

1 Like

If Yak is only going to be here for another year then do you want someone with one foot out the door recruiting for Michigan? It doesn’t really make sense for anyone for him to stay unless it’s going to be long term.

1 Like

im mainly talking from yaks POV but, for michigan its…

shoring up this recruiting class and possibly the next while providing continunity to this years team to help out the new coach. dont get it twisted, if michigan misses the tourney and doesnt recruit well in next 12 months, perception changes quickly. again if yak leaves in a year, goes cuts his teeth at a mid major and howard doesnt work out… my pool for next hire is growing

So who does Juwan bring in to help coach? Any names floating around out there yet??

9 Likes

Any really good assistant coach can be viewed as having one foot out the door. If Yak is retained by Howard for next year, I don’t think it would be made public as to how long Howard would keep him.

Yak was tight with Jalen Wilson so he might provide some immediate help there. What was his role during Wagner’s OV? Did he have a role in Bajema’s recruitment?

5 Likes

You gotta make the moves to help you secure talent now.

1 Like

You are correct there are downsides to retaining him.

On the plus side:
Benefits the returning players next season to have familiarity, especially if there’s not an animosity from past coach to current coach. And Juwan will have so much to do and quickly — for starters I believe there are compliance tests he needs take/pass before he can officially start recruiting at the college level — so retaining a quality staff (or the base of a quality staff) even on a 1year trial basis would reduce a significant amount of work from his plate?

But if the personalities and basic coaching philosophies don’t mesh, then, 100% you are correct, better to make the change now than fight through a forced season.