Five thoughts on Michigan hiring Juwan Howard

Why do you say that?

1 Like

Great piece Dylan. Which assistants on the 18-19 staff would you say would be the most complimentary to Howard?

1 Like

Because Austin Davis is a modern big that excels as a roll man, and can switch on to anyone on the perimeter. Duh

6 Likes

The previous coaching staff was not able to coach him up, at least not enough. Davis wouldā€™ve got no meaningful playing time next year under JB. New coach brings new hope, especially he is a NBA veteran that played and coached the same position.

1 Like

That still implies that you think he will pass Castleton, which would be stunning.

7 Likes

Good question, tough to answer.

Saddi is the most experienced but has worked with the bigs of late, I believe heā€™s worked with other position groups in the past. Juwan needs an experienced staff but will also presumably focus on developing bigs.

Yaklich is the D-Coordinator which is the role Juwan played in Miami. Of course, Yaklich is also just a freak of nature with his scouting and prep and thereā€™s value there. The question might be if Yak wants to stay.

Haynes is youngest and has strong relationships with the players. He also works with the guards which is an area where you can make a case that the staff probably needs.

None of them have any head coaching experience though, and thatā€™s something I think you need on the staff.

1 Like

What cannot CC and Davis/Teske play together?

Chris Collins!?! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

. . .

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1 Like

None of those three can play anything but the 5.

8 Likes

Not true, weā€™ve already established the starting lineup will be

Livers
Castleton
Faulds
Teske
Davis

13 Likes

So many questions with the first one being assistants but pure speculation at this point. Definitely needs at least one new coach with head coaching experience. Have previously mentioned doing something similar to Iowa State and Nebraska with an older experienced coach as the special assistant to the head coach in a mentor role but cannot officially coach on court.

Other questions in terms of recruiting do we see the visit to get an offer and June offer date disappear. Also curious who is the first or first few recruits in the 2020 and 2019 class to get the phone call from Coach Howard.

Going to be interesting.

Before we go on, Iā€™m mentioning Davis here, so DRINK.

I said this in another thread, but we can start with the notion that as of now, the chance that he gets asked to leave after Year 4 is < 100%. As much of a fan of Davis as I am, he was all but assured of getting The Talk from Beilein at the end of next season. Another year at his dream school may be like winning the lottery for him.

Davis is limited, of course, but he wasnā€™t even playing up to his few strengths and at this point I think itā€™s mental. Heā€™s always been known for his hands and he should be a great catch and finish rebounding big, but even those skills have been noticeably absent in games.

Perhaps itā€™s not confidence after all but itā€™s the speed of the game at this level. Having a new voice may get him anticipate better and play like the veteran player that he should. Granted, heā€™s still the third (5th?) center on the team, but Iā€™d like to think his best ball is yet to come.

1 Like

CC has skills to play on the parameter

2 Likes

Iā€™ll eat a shoe if Castleton plays a minute at the 4 in his career in non-mop up situations where positions are irrelevant.

6 Likes

I definitely agree on CCā€™s perimeter potential. I thought it when we recruited him. I still think it. I donā€™t think we will see Castleton anywhere but 5 though unless we have some weird injuries. Partly saying that because I think CC is going to be way ahead of Davis, imo. So, we will want him locked in as the backup center.

His intrigue is as a perimeter 5, not a 4. Like Mo thatā€™s where the mismatch is.

6 Likes

I remember being one of those who was skeptical of Beilein when he was hired. I think this is a ā€œlow risk, high rewardā€ move.
Sure, we may take a step back but with Simpson, Teske, and Livers we have a good base to build on. Best case, Juwan gets Wilson back on board and signs another decent recruit.

You should probably qualify this as in games against ā€œnormalā€ lineups. Haha :laughing:

Purdue a few seasons ago was going with a 2-big lineup ā€” I think MSU did as well. If (and itā€™s a BIG unlikely IF) Michigan played a team than went twin-towers look, then playing CC & Teske together becomes a potential counter-matchup for Michigan. But again, a very small set of potential circumstances.

ā€œNormalā€ matchups, I completely agree with you, CC is not a wing. He can play offense on the perimeter as a Beilein stretch big, but he canā€™t defend perimeter players

I have no qualms. Juwan Howard will do a great.

One more thing on the assistants. I wouldnā€™t bank on Yaklich being the link from this staff to the previous staff. I know he has a strong relationship with Jalen Wilson, but it just feels like an awkward situation to me for him to stay. Howard coaches defense, Yaklich interviewed for the job, Yaklich already interviewed for another job.

Anything can happen, but Iā€™m not sure it is the best fit for anyone. Just think about it if you were up for a big promotion, would you want to stay and work for the guy who was hired in from another company and got it? If you came in, would you want the guy who thinks he should have your job working for you?

4 Likes