Five thoughts on Michigan hiring Juwan Howard

Great article, Dylan. Right in line with my opinions, so this must be a work of brilliance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I’d much rather have low expectations and exceed them. This narrative is great. There might be a certain point guard that would also note such opinions and want to do something about it.

10 Likes

Goodman has been so bitter that he was wrong and his guys didn’t get the job. He’s throwing shade left and right at Juwan.

If he thinks they won’t be a tournament team with Z, Livers and Teske around, he obviously doesn’t think very highly of those guys.

3 Likes

I just think it’s hard to pencil in a team under a first year coach with zero head coaching experience as a top 15 unit. Talent-wise I’d agree but gotta see what the system looks like first

2 Likes

Math and Past history of coaching changes indicates there will be further attrition from the current roster. Wilson may very well come back into the fold, but I can’t think of a coaching change that didn’t produce some defections. And when it happens, that is not a knock on Juwan or his staff, it’s just normal protocol.

National pundits may make their way-too-early preseason rankings with the expectation that someone else eventually defects.

Most coaching changes don’t happen in the middle of Feburary, but you’re right

Bronny and Zaire?

If Michigan doesn’t make the tournmant it would reflect VERY poorly on Juwan. If you’re willing to run modern offense and can coach defense worth a lick, Zavier and Teske can easily carry you to be a top 40 basketball team.

3 Likes

Regression phenomenon. Bronny will be good but will be a notch below Lebron for sure.

1 Like

My expectation is September/October someone on the roster will decide to transfer — won’t like the fit in the new system and will get out before burning a year of eligibility. I will be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong.

But I also expect that Juwan will recruit well and will sign a solid class next year & more impressive class the year after. I’m generally bullish on this hire. I think it injects a lot of positivity into the program after last week’s gut punch.

1 Like

If anyone transfers I would hope Davis or Eli but I agree, one transfer seems likely.

Spolestra promoting him is good enough for me. The Heat are a well coached team that has, during Howard’s tenure as assistant coach, often led the league in the following ratio I made up:

(“worst best player” to “most wins”)

2 Likes

Who were Goodman’s guys? Cooley and Smart?

His original pick was Chris Collins. Then he spoke glowingly about Cooley and said Izzo would be afraid of him.

2 Likes

If Livers is the only decent shooter in the rotation, I think I might disagree here

Davis might be the one benefited the most from the hire. Eli, may choose wait and see, plenty of playing time available this year for him, but I won’t be surprised that he graduate transfers next year (assume that he is able to get a degree in three years).

2 Likes

Good, balanced insights in this piece, Dylan. Thanks. Feels good to be moving forward.

1 Like

Look for “Juwan Howard was the first member of the Fab Five to commit” to be the new talking point in every broadcast, replacing “John Beilein has never been an assistant.”

8 Likes

I think there is always a concern about how guys who were recruited to, and did, play in one system will play in a different one. X, for all his merits, isn’t exactly the most seamless fit in any offense.

I think we are a tournament team, but I also understand some sandbagging now too.

1 Like

A playing time transfer in that time frame was always a real possibility. Transfers might have been more likely if Beilein had stayed. just because Juwan will have a tougher time filling out the roster with guys that might contribute right away.