Five-star power forward Isaiah Todd commits to Michigan

2 Likes

I watched some of Juwanā€™s press conference from today. If I was a high school kid ā€” heck, me right now ā€” there is no doubt I would want to play for Juwan over Self and all these other egomaniac, self-serving coaches. Lol at the idea of Izzo trying to recruit against hiim.

3 Likes

A couple of random thoughts I had on this great signing:

ā€“ I like that Juwanā€™s first recruit is arguably similar to himself. Same height, same position, highly ranked, uber talented at a lot of things but maybe not a star at any one skill, etc. Very cool.

ā€“ I think there are some parallels to Mitch McGaryā€™s signing too. Mitch started out as a top-5 guy and finished the recruiting process as a top-30 guy. I think thatā€™s similar for Todd. Mitch also was athletic, talented, worked hard, did a lot of good thingsā€¦but didnā€™t necessarily have the star power. (Meaning he wasnā€™t your alpha, go-to guy but was a critical part of the machine).

ā€“ I think the depth at forward now with Livers, Johns, and Todd will be an asset next year. Todd doesnā€™t have to come in and be a superstar, he can work his way into the rotation and give the team a spark for maybe 20mpg initially until he settles in.

3 Likes

Yea it will be very interesting to see if Livers or Johns blows up and goes pro. If not then the 3-4 positions will be super stacked next year. Obviously itā€™s a good ā€œproblemā€ to have.

2 Likes

I suppose it is possible that Livers or Johns have a DJ Wilson season and make the jump, but Iā€™d bet against both. Neither of them are freakish athletes that the NBA over-drafts and neither has shown enough skill to project that theyā€™d blow up into a Mo Wagner type departure. I would love to believe that Livers has a great year and suddenly shows he can beat guys off the dribble, defend the best wing on the other team, diversify his offense, etcā€¦but I expect he will be back next year.

1 Like

Great sign for the program under Juwan. I confess that I am not as thrilled as I would be for a signing in another sport of a prospect of this caliber, because years of Beilein have trained me to recognize that speckling a roster with one-and-done five stars is no guarantee of a successful team. And, of course, Beilein was good at taking mid-level prospects and turning them into great players. So one top prospect for a year wonā€™t necessarily bring the house down.

But the Beilein days are gone. Itā€™s Howardā€™s team now. This is a great start.

The NBA is pretty desperate for guys that can credibly defend and command respect from defenses on the wing. If Livers shows he can defend threes well, heā€™s a second round pick guaranteed because we know he can shoot. Michigan may need him to diversify his offense - the fact that heā€™s a plus shooter is enough for the NBA.

I mean - Danny Green dribbles like twice a year, and is a very valuable player.

1 Like

Yeah agreed. Anyone with wing size who can guard their position and shoot 40% on threes is a draftable prospect. Itā€™s weirdly rare that you can find both of those.

I donā€™t expect Todd to slide much more in the rankings than he has, and could even move back into the top-10, if healthy. Heā€™s also much springier than McGary ever was- more in the DJ Wilson/Petway/Baston category, not the McGary/Juwan category in terms of hops. Mitch had a more college-ready body, though. Judging from Ethanā€™s article, it sounds like Isaiah may have some Alpha in him. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what he can doā€¦and also looking forward to Michiganā€™s 1st McDonaldā€™s All-American since Daniel Horton.

6 Likes

The first video I watched of Todd suggested he was still a bit of a puppyā€“and I got how the incredible promise had him ranked number one early, still more latent than actual. But he is, at this stage, quite a refined and very versatile player, Dylanā€™s caveats notwithstanding. If I imagine him with another year of play behind him and a summer with Sanderson? I could talk myself into some of those Giannis comparisons. I mean, the way he carries himself is different, but thereā€™s something of the same promise in the two players.

I also donā€™t accept some suggestions that heā€™s passive. Heā€™s not mean-spirited, but he doesnā€™t shy from going hard.

1 Like

I donā€™t think anyone is saying heā€™s passive that Iā€™ve seen.

I donā€™t understand Giannis comparisons at all though. Giannis is a point guard, Todd is a power forward.

A great Euro step does not make you Giannis. I just donā€™t see Todd coming into passing skills like Giannis, heā€™s more of a true scoring perimeter four.

1 Like

Matt D quotes someone saying that coaches would like to see him be more assertive in his Mgoblog appraisal (the quote is from a Rivals piece).

I bow to your greater experience andā€“yeahā€“he will never be a guard, but there is something about his stride. . . thatā€™s a little Giannis-like, or which helps me see why a couple of people were tempted by the comparison. More importantly, though, I feel like one can glimpse a player who just might exceed the already-large expectations.

I actually think Todd has a better jumper than Giannis so Todd will probably be better than Giannis. That comparison is disrespectful.

6 Likes

Yup, Duncan Robinson has earned himself a spot on an NBA roster. While Livers may not be as good of a shooter/offensive player as Duncan, heā€™s a better rebounder/defender, and is still a plus shooter. Heā€™s got enough to work with that some team will give him a shot, even if he still canā€™t dribble.

1 Like

The one thing that stats and a certain kind of fixed-in-amber take on players canā€™t give you is a sense of their continuing potential. If weā€™re lining up the votes on whether Isaiah is a markedly improved dribbler, I am going with the likelihood heā€™s a happy surprise. And yes, I agree thereā€™s a pretty good chance that heā€™s gone after this year.

I think the whole Giannis at point guard experiment went the way of Jason Kidd. Giannis is a new wave big 3 or stretch 4. Tough comparison for Todd simply because Giannis is the reigning MVP, but look back around 2013-2014 and Giannis came into the league pretty scrawny and pretty raw (offensively). Heā€™s really only just added an adequate 3 ball (if you can consider it that). Clearly has always been a plus passer.

With that said, I get the comparison. Lean, athletic guys who puts the ball on the floor, can face up, and finish in traffic. But, kinda ends there. One guy hasnā€™t played a minute of college ball, the other is putting in work in the NBA. I guess itā€™s only human nature to compare high school prospects to NBA all-stars and league MVPs at this stage (itā€™s exactly what happens during recruitments and during the NBA draft).

1 Like

I donā€™t have a ā€œfixed in amberā€ opinion of Toddā€™s game at all. I just donā€™t think the way Giannis plays matches the way that Todd plays at all.

Giannis is and was a unicorn because of his playmaking and passing at his size. Todd is not a great passer despite a good handle.

Giannis is a downhill player who has always preferred to drive to the rim instead of pull up for a jump shot. Todd is a face-up four man who settles for jump shots too often rather than attacking the rim.

Other than in transition, Iā€™m just not really buying the similarities.

2 Likes

There are no comparisons. This is so not reality.

Because letā€™s be honest, comparing him to a player who he most likely actually compares to (I see you, Noah Vonleh) isnā€™t exactly going to excite the fanbase like a reigning MVP.

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think you do. But a lot of fans really tend to project what they see in a player at any given moment as their future or professional ceiling. And weā€™ve seen some pretty dazzling cases of some experts being very very wrong here over the last years. DJ Wilson will always be my favorite.

The fact that a second sportswriter made a Giannis comparison was what prompted me to try to see it, thatā€™s all. (I think beanman about got it right.) But. . . moving on!

1 Like