A few weeks later…

9 Likes

11 Likes

…not sure where I grabbed this one from :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

22 Likes

14 Likes

5 Likes

I cut this out and taped on my dorm room door or maybe it was the wall. Can’t remember if it was color or b/w. It was a spiritual commitment, of course, so the details don’t totally matter.

13 Likes

Ugh those uniformZ…

I won’t hate bc great pic of great moment but gee, spare them eyes!

Couldn’t find a still shot, hope a gif counts!

7 Likes

Another one I’ve always liked, but really old school. Cazzie Russell against Princeton at MSG at a holiday tournament in 1964. Princeton was up 14 with under 5 min left when Bill Bradley fouled out. Michigan came back and Russell hit the game winner with 3 seconds left, to give Michigan a 80-78 win. This picture is actually of the game winning shot (You can see the scoreboard showing 78-78).

Edited to add that you can see Michigan’s comeback and Russell’s shot here (video is time-stamped and lasts about 2 min): Basketball highlights in "the Year of the Tiger," 1965 - YouTube

20 Likes

the lighting of old sports photos is so confusing to me. how dark was it in these places?!

6 Likes

Feels like we need to tag @silverblue… I’d love to know more about the lighting in old gyms. I’ve played in a few and while they were ‘yellow’ they were plenty bright. Certainly warmer than the bluer lights today. Also all the lights focused on the court, stands didn’t need to be seen. Seems like the flash for these photos really washes out the ambient light. Must’ve been something to adjust to (the flash bulbs).

2 Likes

Thanks for including the link. It was a real treat to watch the couple minutes of that Michigan - Princeton game.

I never thought about before, but the fans were allowed to smoke at the game. The camera pans to a fan with a cigarette in her hand at 4:41 in the video.

1 Like

Those old photos were with film with low film speeds.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for this, very cool to watch. Princeton could’ve used someone who could handle the ball in the slightest.

Photo is pretty amazing given the age.

I hope some day to be able to have a strobe trigger for games. I’m not that well-connected yet.

3 Likes