European Soccer

Berhalter did it, no? Albeit in a 4-3-3?

Any players that we should expect Pochettino to like/dislike more than Berhalter?

We did not run a high press with Berhalter

I think it’s the best possible hire for USMNT considering the circumstance and interest. It’ll be interesting to see the roster that fits his system.

Not really sure yet, seems like Musah might carve out more of a role and Wes might rotate more with Tyler in the Eric Dier position. But if I had to pick one, Musah.

He also isn’t going to mess around with Pepi up front, Balo will lock that down. Thing I am most hopeful for is he can fix our backline a little bit by simply giving them less to do and keeping possession in the middle more rather than the tiki taka junk in our 3rd GGG was trying the past year.

2 Likes

My recollection is that they pressed high in the World Cup and got lauded for their energy doing so.

I’m a little wary just because national team management is much different than club management. PSG and Chelsea are hot messes as organizations, so I don’t take too much from his “failures” there. Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham tenures are hard to criticize. Now, with less than two years til the World Cup, hiring someone without international experience can be a risk. Someone like Herve Renard gives us a good floor but probably limits our ceiling. Poch is a big swing but he’s the best manager the USMNT has ever had in terms of resume and reputation. Can’t complain but I’m still nervous. But I can’t really think of anyone that would calm my nerves.

2 Likes

Will Poch like our pair of cornerbacks who basically play as attackers?

1 Like

The man might think he’s in a Ted Lasso pilot and quit the job if we ask him that!

1 Like

I think GGG used it in situations to mix things up, not really like Poch where it’s built in and more constant. I haven’t really researched the guy much though because I didn’t figure it to be a realistic option.

1 Like

https://x.com/the_bonnfire/status/1824080081196589557

Just need to know if @umhoops got his Gundogan kit out of mothballs this week

The Gundogan MARFO warms the heart! Thank goodness for Barca’s incompetence!

Still Yaya Toure kit or nothing though.

1 Like

I have a 20 year old Kolo Toure Arsenal kit in the closet

I still have some old Balotelli ones hanging on, but mostly was a Fernandhino guy when I went named. I feel like I reach for this one more than the others.

images

My 125 shirt is my favorite home one, but it’s in a Sterling. Nooo.

I have a few shirts that have no players on them. But I said if Wolves have an American player, I’ll get their shirt. So I have an Owen Otasowie shirt that aged like sour milk. Though at the time, I was psyched. Had talent, just cared more about modeling than playing, which is fair.

1 Like

One Europa League appearance got me to buy a Raúl shirt

Then he almost died and never played well again

Why does Ten Hag still have a job

The employment status of ManU managers is basically a living example of Schrödinger’s Cat

(They’ve been emotionally melting down at the first sign of adversity for three managers now - shocking given that Bruno Fernandez is their captain!)

If losing the FA cup final was worth them keeping Ten Hag all year or forcing a panic mid-season hire, was well worth it.

I’m not always sympathetic to all of our world’s journalists’ attempts to be fair and balanced, but this is heroic work.