European Soccer

Pellegrino Matarazzo makes 3m Euro a year

So again the thing I don’t get about him taking this job applies to most successful major league managers - why would they take this job?

(For the record, Berhalter made less than 2/3 of that)

Edit, found an answer:

Earlier this summer, Hoffenheim director Alexander Rosen left the club due to dissatisfaction with squad planning for this upcoming season. Rosen was then replaced by former Schalke manager Frank Kramer on a temporary basis.

Rosen is not the only member of staff who could leave the club. The marketing director, psychologist, technical director and sports director will all leave the club.

What if I told you Pellegrino benched John Brooks…

1 Like

I’m having trouble figuring out how we would run a 3-5-2. Surely not Balo and Pepi up top, you’d almost have to slot Pulisic up there because he puts his fullbacks so far up. Otherwise you’re going to have to sacrifice Weah and put Pulisic out right maybe?

Weah isn’t really a sacrifice…

Pulisic and a striker up top in a 3-5-2 kind of makes sense, no?

I get the concerns about lack of CB depth, but playing Pulisic as a second striker and only playing one of Weah/Dest at a time feels like it could actually make some sense?

2 Likes
       Puli        Balo
            Reyna
       Weston    Adams
Jedi                     Dest
  Brooks   Richards   Miles 
            Turner   

Obviously not perfect, but maybe something close to that I guess.

That looks about right to me. i think we can all agree that it (like all teams) would look better w Rodri or Vitinha or Barella. MMA has not aged particularly well, but I wouldn’t hire a coach based on the player pool.

Brooks AND Miles Robinson awesome

I really do not know ball enough to know the implications of a 3-5-2. Is it more than (1) adding a CB means trading some defense for offense and (2) it’s reliant on that extra CB to really make progressive passes in the build up?

It’s been said but neither of those things really seem to make a lot of sense for our player pool? At least as I understand it. Seems like we have a lot of possible options at CB for 2026 but that’s kind of a “if you have 2 QBs you don’t have 1” issue?

https://x.com/meninblazers/status/1820515563942113635?s=46&t=xsoD7F1QL4iGG_8kXTdpkw

as a small-batch purveyor of inscrutable memes myself, i have no idea what this one is trying to convey, even after looking at a bunch of pictures of klopp and matarazzo before i was 95% sure it was klopp. why is klopp one of the ones in the bad situation? who is he talking to, matarazzo? is he implying its his first time?

shouldn’t it be a USMNT fan who’s implying that it’s not their first time getting turned down by a european manager, not one of those managers?

just shoddy work all around as far as i can tell

3 Likes

https://x.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1820852176110972997

:thinking:

God look at that magnificent b*stard

1 Like

It’s a good match. Lot of experience w national teams. European, gives some tactical credibility and will help for recruiting. No strong style of play convictions. Not least, will destroy the press conferences bc he’s just so handsome.

“For myself and the young team and kind of where we’re at, I think we need someone that’s almost a little bit ruthless coming in and putting everyone in their place and understanding that ‘listen, this is what needs to be done and this is the way that we’re gonna do it,’” he told Men in Blazers.

“And there’s no really ifs, ands or buts, it’s not really a conversation, it has to be more of a decision that’s made and this is the way we’re gonna play.”

1 Like

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1823790068122968126

:face_holding_back_tears: :sob:

Pochettino time? :eyes:

1 Like

Would be an amazing hire far above what I ever dreamed they could pull off.

4-2-3-1 high press, will be interesting if he can get these boys to run.

Fab official.

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1823990530428043715?s=46&t=xsoD7F1QL4iGG_8kXTdpkw

3 Likes

It almost feels like Hoke to Harbaugh in terms of achievements and talent. I was hoping to believe the talk they were trying to get someone serious, but was fully expecting Dolo the first week of September after getting turned down all summer.