European Soccer

Barcelona, even though they tend to shower with Monopoly money.

Are they able to at this stage?

They tend to just make it up as they go along.

1 Like

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1812595453147701749

Ballon d’Or that man.

1 Like

Fairly clean and we-played match. Now it’s time for the cards and the chaos with a 25 minute Shakira concert jammed in the middle of it.

What could go wrong!

https://x.com/the_bonnfire/status/1812610621252194772

Start delayed 30 minutes.

It really is a good soft opening for the World Cup even if CONMEBOL is in charge here. Giving us the cheat sheet on what not to do in 26.

1 Like

To be fair to us, same thing happened for Liverpool / Madrid CL final in Paris 2 years back. Soccer fans by and large are disorderly and don’t follow rules.

Chicago’s Fox affiliate swapping to storm center instead of the game is killing me, a good argument for all sports to be on cable

Who cares about Dekalb!

1 Like

Welp, that absolutely sucks.

That was hard to watch. Gotta think it’s his last match for country.

And the last match takes 4 hours and 12 minutes from the scheduled kickoff because people were climbing through AC ducts to enter the stadium because of course that would happen. Thanks Copa. Good times.

1 Like

That’s a rough way to end it with Messi going down on a non-contact injury. His ankle looked pretty messed up when they showed it later on with his gesr off. Is there any word on the severity of the injury and the possible implications of it? My man is getting up there, making it harder and harder to come back from these things…

mostly Columbia fans from what I can see.

The crowd was 80% columbia fans, so I’d imagine they were a plurality of both rule breakers and rule followers

1 Like

Final was also in close proximity the highest concentration of Colombians in the entire US. There were going to be a lot of people who could get to Hard Rock with relative ease that didn’t have tickets. Not that you can predict a final that far ahead of time.

Anyway, CONMEBOL saying CONCACAF didn’t help and that they warned them and CONCACAF and the Dolphins saying they asked to help CONMEBOL and they were told they didn’t need it so who knows.

1 Like

CONMEBOL is the main culprit to this shenanigans. They control the event and likely cut costs so they can have more of the profit for themselves.

In 2016, it wasn’t a big issue because USSF organized it back then. Also, USA is good at organizing large event so US is unlikely to be the one to be blamed for it IMO.

It seems like the problem stemmed from just not being able to efficiently/effectively get people in, and then everything hit the skids.

As much as sports fans like to say “oh ____ fans are bad” I’d tend to avoid putting the blame on the tendencies or collective personality of a fanbase

2 Likes

But, could you imagine something like this happening in one of the big four sports here? Most soccer fans are fine, but for some reason it does seem to attract more of a deviant fringe than other sports. An old joke is that rugby is a hooligan’s game cheered by gentlemen while soccer is a gentlemen’s game cheered by hooligans.

Maybe that’s just a byproduct of soccer being very popular, I don’t know.

1 Like

The actual ball knowers will know the details but pretty sure soccer hooliganism was killed by the determination of the orgs that put on top level soccer to not have hooliganism anymore.

…that and lead abatement

1 Like