European Soccer

We all seem much saner than many when it comes to Berhalter but this seemed like a good summary to me

https://twitter.com/jerryhinnen/status/1811433202227069137?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

4 Likes

Bielsa is the man and should at least get some attention paid to the pitches in the World Cup because we are going to get deservedly dragged by the planet if they are even close to the same as they were in the Copa.

I don’t know if the USSF or CONMEBOL or who was in charge of security either, but just saying ‘Oh, people don’t behave that way in the stands here’ was wishful thinking and they should have seen enough US/Mexico matches at this point to know it was going to be a mess when the big teams played each other.

Lastly, I’d imagine this is the last Copa here for a long long time. It was amateur hour compared to the Euros from every possible standpoint besides morbid entertainment.

2 Likes

From what I heard pretty much all of it was conmebol. They left USSF out so they could pocket all the profits. So don’t think it means much for the WC. Generally America is pretty good a big sporting events

3 Likes

Yep. Conmebol ran the whole thing — marketing, operations, tickets, everything.

3 Likes

I assume I’m last off this particular ship but MIB deciding to launder Marsch’s nonsense the last year and whatever for no defensible reason bums me the heck out

https://twitter.com/meninblazers/status/1811919159648727431?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

Objectively the dude did a bad job at Leeds and has had no time to do anything meaningful w Canada.

Marsch’s biggest skill is self-promotion

2 Likes

No point in asking him. If he’s successful with Canada, he’d have no reason to come here. If he’s not successful, we’d have no reason to hire him.

Marsch feels that he has been passed over for the job twice, and for a guy he’s losthed for over 25 years

He’s just in petty mode

2 Likes

Seems like Canada was still playing aggressive wide open soccer when protecting a lead with ten to go and blew it. Now to PKs

Free Cole Palmer! :sob::joy::sob::sob:

2 Likes

And playing next to Declan Rice lol!

I’m just going to put here that I like Ollie Watkins

Definitely not playing next to Rice, is he? They’ve dropped Jude further and let Palmer play 10.

And England gives it back by sticking with the all attack lineup.

John Stone asleep at the wheel

Oh god Ollie

Jude dimed him up

Edit: Spain just matrix-ing through bullets right now

Deserved. They were the best team in the tourney. Still young too, should be favored in 2 years at the WC.

1 Like

Spain dominated that game. Fair play. Dominated the whole tourney really.

3 Likes

So what club is going to shower money on Nico Williams

Most importantly, ready for August so we can get back to some real footie.

This international stuff is a slog.