European Soccer

What did you say about Lead-erpool, mate? I’d like you to repeat that to me face. Not so brave now, innit? Mind yer own bizness, ya saucey git!

Southgate is now available.

Hiring someone like Viera because he’s not American, even though he’s never really won, feels on brand.

1 Like

Vieira has never won anything as a manager, but he does have 120 matches under his belt in the roughhouse farmer’s league and that’s good enough for me

Has never really won(outside MLS) but all the teams he managed aren’t really teams that can win.

Maybe true, I’ll give you that. I just think his name is larger than his resume (as a manager). A win the press conference type of hire.

Not saying it couldn’t work though. Just that the whole vibe of it feels “right” for the situation.

Nice is a club with some level of ambition, at least domestically. He was doing okay there his first two years (7th and 5th in Ligue 1) but things fell apart his third year and he got fired halfway through. At the other two he seemed to just be treading water.

He understands the job then!

Oh god let it be Rafa Benitez that would be so funny

I’d be ok with Vieira. He’s not going to bring anything crazy tactically to the table, but he’s done the mid-table deal in the Prem and managed them to the FA Cup semifinal with Palace which “might”, kind of sadly, be the biggest club accomplishment of any of our past national team managers.

I don’t think it’s the best hire we could get obviously, but it’s a step up from the MLS guys. According to the stuff below, he’s a 4-3-3 possession type that can sit back and lean into counters which is pretty much our only chance against the elite squads out there. I’m still in the not mad about it camp though, not necessarily in the happy good hire one.

We should hire that silver fox French (?) guy that coached UAE

No opinion on his chops but rrreeoowwrrr

Won AFCON with two separate nations. Beat Argentina with Saudi Arabia. I wouldn’t be upset but I don’t think average fans would be excited.

I’m a little wary of hiring someone without international experience with only two years before the World Cup and the 2025 Gold Cup as the only competitive tourney to test ourselves in that time. Renard would seem a pragmatic choice. But he might be cool with staying in France after traversing the globe the rest of his career.

Yeah, honestly, he seems like a solid choice. I more wanted to get off a joke about how handsome he is.

And yes, Saudi Arabia, not UAE

The U23 Olympic squad kicks off at 3:00 today vs France on USA or Peacock. Big test for them as the France U23 would likely give our senior team all they can handle so we will see how this goes.

First match for Olise since getting his Bayern move so I expect him to be super motivated this tourney.

The Copa has carried over to the Olympics. Earlier the Argentina/Morocco game had 16 minutes of stoppage time, Argentina equalized in the 16th. Morocco fans stormed the field and lit off fireworks behind the Argentina bench.

TWO HOURS later VAR ruled the goal offsides. The teams returned to the field to play 3 minutes in an empty stadium. Morocco ends up winning which is huge because we could potentially avoid Argentina with a 2nd place finish in group.

2 Likes

I saw it on Twitter and people joked that CONMEBOL was organizing the Olympics soccer lol

2 Likes

We held up alright for a half. Not in the same stratosphere talent-wise as that France squad though.

Schulte wasn’t great imo, but expected besides that. On to the next two, might get lucky and draw Morocco in the KO’s the way the board is setting up.

Morocco lost to Ukraine so I presume that means US will now be stuck having to play Argentina in the quarters?

Probably, but everyone in that group is on 3 points currently. Looked better yesterday, could’ve had 6 or more goals easily.

So USA gets Morocco. That’s really good right? Win that and you’re in a medal match. Also on the opposite side from Argentina and France.

Did Spain purposefully lose to Egypt so they’d get an easier draw?

1 Like