European Soccer

Going to get grouped at home. Maybe we get a serious manager for the WC at least. Some truly terrible subs tonight.

Just a horrendous lack of judgment by Weah. Let the whole program down.

It’s a win win Monday. We either beat a quality team or send Gregg packing.

1 Like

I know this is gonna draw derision from hardcore futbol gang, but it’s crazy seeing something that is a flagrant 1 at most in basically all american sports result in an effectively game-losing disadvantage. Shocking to me that red card rules still exist as they do after a hundred years

3 Likes

I think anyone would get ejected for that in a basketball game too, FWIW. You can’t swing on someone and make contact with their face.

Obviously the red card thing is a significantly bigger disadvantage in the game.

It’s pretty simple though, you can’t strike someone in the face or you are going to get a red. It’s not exactly controversial.

There’s been at least some talk of trialing a orange card/sin bin to make things more like hockey, to the point of being actually proposed, but usually gets voted down obviously. And that’s for borderline tackles more than straight reds.

Side note: The red on Carrasquilla was an insane tackle.

2 Likes

Can’t they win and still not make it up. Also are they really gonna fire him with basically no lead in to the WC for a new coach?

If the USMNT beats Uruguay, Panama needs to beat Bolivia by 2 goals more than the US beats Uruguay by.

So 1-0 USMNT win means Panama needs a 3-0, etc.

We want Uruguay to win by about a million tonight, so they have nothing at stake in the last match.

2 Likes

Panama would have to make up a 2 goal difference, but yeah, it’s possible.

I don’t know who would be available, but I’ve been done with GGG since the last cycle. To be fair that loss is <75% on Weah …. But we were doing fine with possession down a man for more than half of the first half. Still looked threatening, weren’t giving up a ton. Then drop to a hopelessly negative 5-3-1 and give up 76% possession to Panama for 50 minutes was asking for it. If they did score, we really had no way back in and thought it was way way early to switch it up.

1 Like

Rugby also has red cards, although they are introducing a rule where a yellow card upgraded to red on review means the team is down a man only 20 minutes. A straight red (which is rare) means the team can’t replace him for the rest of the game.

Regardless, punching a guy in a game is just really dumb.

Uruguay up 4-0

I’m not the crazy soccer watcher you guys are but that was the most insane horrible tackle I can ever remember seeing outside of a Horrible Tackles YouTube compilation

2 Likes

Turner getting injured and then Horvath letting a game winner in off his face was an underrated gut punch on a night playing 78 minutes a man down.

As it currently stands Uruguay would need to lose 4-0 to US to place 2nd in the group. So maybe they won’t have as much oomph, but idk.

I was kinda thinking on the flip side that Bolivia losing close tonight would’ve given them a legit shot of getting out of the group with 3 points against Panama. Unfortunately Bolivia is practically eliminated at this point though unless they make up a 8 GD gap.

I’m super bummed that our tournament likely will come down to a red card. Been looking forward to this for 2 years.

Edit: also the lack of stoppage time was beyond absurd, but whatever. One of those things I will never understand with soccer

1 Like

The official was horrendous and has a ridiculous red card record. Both were obvious reds – clearly – but he had no control over the ref and let Panama control the ridiculousness.

Absolutely this. It also just doesn’t tell us what we need to know about Gregg.

Yeah, but Uruguay is basically locked into the group win so should at least rotate their squad.

It feels like the kind of thing that you’d see in South American league games, but definitely not in Europe or something like that.

1 Like

I mean, Gregg is in a position where he has a knockout game against a red hot team on Monday. I’d argue we will know everything we need to know after that. And if he manages to win it, it will change my views on him quite a bit as long as Uruguay doesn’t rest some guys.

Panama is going to try to hang 7 on Bolivia. Those Pepi misses from that first match will come into play I fear.

2 Likes

I just don’t know if they have that in their locker… like yeah, they could win 3-0, but they aren’t the type of team that can just name their number – even against Bolivia.

Even 3-0 would require a 2-1 US win at minimum. 4-0 result for Panama would pretty much be blouses. Think we’d need 4-2 minimum or win by 3 at that point.

I’m still gonna hold out hope that Panama and Bolivia draw.

Yeah, I get all of that but I just don’t really think they have that. We’ll see though.

Bolivia Beats Panama and We lose 1-0 to Uruguay… go through with 3 points!

I get that Greg isn’t amazing and most people are tired of him…I just think being a national team coach is hard given the circumstances. Have we ever liked one of our coaches? You had a guy make an insanely dumb play tonight and we had to play down a man for an hour. Not sure the subs or formation really make that much of a difference. We will see I guess.