European Soccer

Not completely convinced by this Bolivia win—they appear to be a heap of dung—but obviously you’ll take it.

Weird guy to focus on perhaps, but I’m curious where Musah fits best on this squad and as a player overall. I love how strong he is on the ball but he also never really seems to play that incisive pass that creates a chance or unlocks the D. I have no sense at all how good he is on D, but doesn’t that offensive skillset make him more of a 6? Maybe he just doesn’t have a lot of upside overall? Curious what actual ball knowers think.

I thought they played well. My only complaint was that they had the chances for that to be a 5-0 win but couldn’t convert them. Against better teams you will get fewer chances and can’t spoil them.

Beat Panama, lock up the bid to move on, and then test yourself against Uruguay.

1 Like

Didn’t Musah play the 6 last night?

Gotta finish the opportunities you create. Bolivia clearly stinks. GD could matter later. A big score here and they could’ve gone for a draw (potentially) against Uruguay

Midfield was mostly nonexistent last night and it should have been driving everything, there was so much room. Too many balls directly from the backline to the forwards, and i wouldn’t call that a huge skill of our back line. Thought Weston should’ve cooked in this game linking play but didn’t really do that.

I thought the US did not play well tbqh famalam

Yeah I think so? Was curious if that is actually his best position/how good we think he can be

The Connelly box score wasn’t super reassuring

https://twitter.com/espn_billc/status/1805058955493712263?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

The markstats backs it up I think

https://twitter.com/markstatsbot/status/1805030096899891247?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

Thought we were OK. Really should’ve been able to pick a score against a side that poor. Just snag 3 against an OK Panama side and then we’ll see where we are at vs. a real team when it matters.

I think Bielsa is going to coach circles around Gregg so can’t give anything away. Don’t get cute in the midfield, pack the backline and try to counter and we could steal it, Panama ran a similar gameplan early in the 2nd and had 4 really good chances. Go out and try to line up and “play our game” vs Uruguay and we’ll get hammered.

Also Fox needs to chill, I get trying to grow the game and make it more palatable for the casual viewer, but you have Ted Lasso quotes midgame and Carli Lloyd comparing Pulisic to Messi and Bellingham. Like C’mon.

2 Likes

Seemed like Bolivia was as bad as any national side I’ve seen this side of Gold Cup group play. Incredibly slow on the break, not closing down space led to both goals they conceded, just not impressive.

1 Like

Bolivia likely wouldn’t get out of CONCACAF qualifying. Ranked about with Honduras or Guatemala.

1 Like

I’m going to become the Joker

That was the definition of a gut punch game my god

Brutal – and Italy probably would have gone through with a loss despite Landon’s ranting!

1 Like

yep they were at 98% chance of going through in 3rd, meanwhile croatia goes from 100% to 2%

As an Azzurri fan, that was awesome. Though I love Modric and I hope he plays at least in the next World Cup

Georgia loses to Portugal
Czechia loses to Turkey
Serbia loses to Denmark
Slovenia loses 3-0 against England

If all of those happen, Croatia sneaks through at 2 points as the 4th best 3rd place team. Would be quite the parlay, but it’s possible!

3 Likes

Brazil got CONCACAFED.

If Lewandowski can do that BS run-up, goalie should be allowed to be like a millimeter off the line. Totally unfair.

1 Like

Crazy match so far. Disallowed goal, Weah with a horrible decision for a red and Balogun hits a boomer from outside the box and we have 75 minutes left.