European Soccer

It’s going to be Arteta just to crush me one more time

I actually kind of think City is really getting near the end of a pretty big cycle.

You figure that Pep, KDB, Walker, Bernardo, maybe even Haaland, all might be gone by 2025-26, right? That’s a huge reboot and the guys coming in don’t feel like they are at the same level.

I’d bet all of those guys go after Pep, I do think he will stick around until the next WC cycle is done unless an extremely attractive national team situation opens up a year out.

I hope not, and not because I don’t like it. I think Arsenal being a contender is good and like how they play under Arteta. I enjoyed the All or Nothing and really liked Arteta’s vibe, the club management… I feel like it is a project that needs to see its way through.

Maybe that’s just because the project is still in process though. Because I am not sad to see Klopp leave.

1 Like

Yeah that’s fair. I just think that City operating at this level isn’t sustainable without someone like Pep. I know people like to say it is money and it is inevitable (and obviously Pep isn’t cheap) but I think there will be some sort of pretty real correction when he leaves.

It will be a step back for sure, it was more than fine under Mancini and Pellegrini though. We are in agreement on Kompany being a likely disaster, if he’s back in the championship for another 2 years, you would have to think no way he gets a shot.

It could be a Juwan type of career arc just to bring it back on topic if it does though.

For sure. But “more than fine” is a big drop off from the heights Pep has reached.

On the other hand, why would they leave? Man City pays more than anyone else. I feel like they will become a Real Madrid or a Barca or Bayern where their stars only leave when they’ve fallen off or aren’t good enough.

KDB and Walker will be 35+ by that time, Bernardo will be 32. I get the feeling Haaland will be ready for a new challenge by then, but that’s more based on the constant rumors with Real. If Haaland stays, would bet Alvarez moves on.

Pep’s next job should be interesting, most speculation is Italy, Spain or Brazil NT’s, but I wonder if he would ever take that England job. They’d give him an honorary knighthood if he ever got them across the line.

There was a time I had hoped the USMNT might be ambitious enough to throw a hail mary at that, but not now. These dummies are content with GGG and barely ruling over CONCACAF. Had Bielsa sitting around with no job while we had an open chair and still brought Greggory back for the most important World Cup cycle in 30 years. ;(

Yeah, Bernardo signed a deal that will basically let him walk for cheap this offseason.

City basically don’t do huge deals for guys when they get up there in age. So inflection point coming for KDB.

Alvarez already talk about Madrid, and he won’t stay to play behind Haaland forever. Haaland may or may not have a release clause. Etc.

Elite coaches don’t coach any national teams for a reason. It’s either a retirement gig or you’re a homegrown coach.

What other project is there for Pep to take on, though?

I feel like chasing the World Cup is one of the last things to chase for him.

If that’s the case why would he coach the U.S. men?

I thought he was talking about Italy, Spain, Brazil, England NT jobs?

With Pep was 100% talking about one of those big national jobs (Brazil, Spain etc…). I highly doubt he picks another club job unless he just wants to retire to Miami and do some MLS managing on the side way down the road.

He’s going to chase a World Cup next imo. Has brought it up multiple times over the last couple of years so his case is kind of special.

Was saying there was a time I had hoped the USMNT would eventually be ambitious enough to chase a top level manager but those days are long gone.

Coventry beat Wolves in the FA Cup quarterfinals. Four goals between the sides in the last 20 minutes of gameplay, with both teams coming from a goal down to take the lead in that span.

Wolves have so many injuries along the front, there was no coherent shape or strategy they could employ. But they also weren’t sharp at all.

Consolation for me is that Haji Wright continues his great season with Coventry and scored the game winner in stoppage time

1 Like

I love the Carabou and FA for results like that.

When Bueno slotted his home I (and all of Molineaux) thought it was over

Darwin Nunez is just an awful player

Wasting the ‘Golden Generation’ on a manager like GGG on a home World Cup cycle is the most depressing thing ever. Getting tactically picked apart by Jamaica and Nike has us in some fugly kits that look like we are wearing bright red sarongs.

Besides that, this match is going fantastic.

1 Like