Dylan's UM starting 5 of the 2000s doesn't include THJr! Commence debate!

Dylan’s best 5 from the 2000’s (in his talking to the enemy segment at The Only Colors) were Burke, Horton, Manny, DeShawn Sims, and McGary. I don’t know exactly what “best” means, but I’d have to think THJr fits in the starting five, probably at the 2. And if I’m just trying to win games? My five, with Beilein as the coach, has Blanchard starting on the 4. Nik and BRJr have an argument to be in there too.

Ha! I hated having to come up with that… tried to spread the representation around…

Tim, Nik, Bernard all were in the debate. Figured that Manny could give that roster something that Timmy didn’t with a driving threat. It was really hard to pick big guys… so went with McGary.

Who would you go with?

This is tough. Here is my 13-man roster (this was even tough and I hated leaving off Lester Abram, Zack Novak, and Stu Douglass - they can be honorary captains) with starters in bold.

LaVell Blanchard
Bernard Robinson Jr. for his well-rounded game and defense
Daniel Horton
Courtney Sims
Dion Harris
DeShawn Sims
Manny Harris
Darius Morris
Tim Hardaway Jr. over Manny because of outside shooting and fire, but I really like Manny
Trey Burke
Nik Stauskas
Glenn Robinson III
Mitch McGary

I do think all the pre-Beilein players would probably have been better under Beilein.

Yeah, it’s hard because you have to separate out team achievement vs individual play - or do you? How would THJr have fared without Trey? Are we building a team to win, because I think Blanchard would be killer under JB, but he didn’t get that chance. I think Hunter wound have thrived under JB too. Would Manny be able to coexist with Trey?

With all that, based on my own system:
Coaches: current staff, exactly.
Starters: Trey, THJr, Manny, Blanchard, Mitch
Bench: Nik, Peedi, Darius, BRJr, Horton, Novak, Jamal, and Jordan Morgan (need a big and his year with Darius is underrated).

Just watching Jamal crawford dribble in warmups was worth the price of admission.

This isn’t even worth discussing unless you have Spike at PG and Reed Baker at SG.

Shoot the 3!

PG: Spike - shoot it
SG: Baker - shoot it
SF: Bartlestein - blogs during live action
PF: Petway - pregame would be exciting and put-back dunks
C: Brown - set screens, be huge

Starting 5: Burke, Stauskas, Manny, Blanchard, Mitch
Next 5: Horton, Hardaway, Bernard, D Sims, Udoh
Last 3: Morris, Levert, Hunter

• not counting Jamal Crawford from '99-'00 but if we’re counting them, then he’s in my starting 5

Stauskas and McGary are first team? OK…

Stauskas and McGary are first team? OK......

Didn’t see your 5 guestavo? nice of you to drop a crappy line tho.

Very funny JBlair! Don’t you know by know that the “troller” disagrees with everyone and everybody? This is his site, we just get to chime in now and then.

Trey Burke, Manny Harris, Hardaway Jr, Deshawn Sims, Udoh. If Jamal Crawford is eligible, replace Hardaway Jr. With Crawford!!

Stauskas and McGary are first team? OK......

Didn’t see your 5 guestavo? nice of you to drop a crappy line tho.

Just returning the favor buddy :slight_smile:

Very funny JBlair! Don't you know by know that the "troller" disagrees with everyone and everybody? This is his site, we just get to chime in now and then.

I’ve seemed to offend you somewhere down the line. I apologize.

* not counting Jamal Crawford from '99-'00 but if we're counting them, then he's in my starting 5
If we're counting Crawford, agree...he's in my starting 5.
Trey Burke, Manny Harris, Hardaway Jr, Deshawn Sims, Udoh. If Jamal Crawford is eligible, replace Hardaway Jr. With Crawford!!
If we're counting Udoh, then why not count Crawford? I know he played only 7 games in the 2000s, but at least all of his college success was at Michigan. Most of Udoh's success was at Baylor.

Burke, Stauskas, Blanchard, D. Simms and McGary.
If Nik stays 3 years, he will surpass Hardaway.

If Beilein’s the coach of your team of the 2000s, then you really don’t need two starting bigs. How does this sound:

STARTERS
Wings: Blanchard & Manny Harris
Off Guard: Hardaway
Point: Trey

Bench:
Wings: Novak, BR Jr., Stauskas,
Off Guard: Darius Morris (combo), LaVert
Point: Daniel Horton
Walk-ons: Harrell, C.J. Lee, Merritt
Post Graduate Agent: Bartelstein
Dancing: Corey Person

I’m tempted to start Novak and BR Jr. because they were much better defensively than Blanchard and Harris, but like most everyone else, I like to watch players score. Morgan makes my team because of his defense, and LaVert and McGary make my team because of their potential.

Jamal didn’t play enough games to make my list, and Udoh played his best when he wore another uniform. Dion Harris, Courtney Sims and Gavin Groninger would make my All-Time Underachiever Team, though I’ll concede that if they had better coaching they might have gotten better. Abram, Brown and Hunter were pretty good, but there careers were hampered by too many injuries. GR3 just missed the cut.