Big Ten All-Decade Teams

Not sure how Mitch McGary didn’t make this list. http://t.co/kmhegkVQ9e

MICHIGAN
Trey Burke, 2011-2013
Nik Stauskas, 2012-2014
Tim Hardaway Jr., 2010-2013
Manny Harris, 2007-2010
DeShawn Sims, 2006-2010
See more at: http://btn.com/2015/05/12/drafting-a-starting-five-for-every-big-ten-school-over-the-past-decade/#sthash.jA2ov4gw.dpuf

Sims is one of my all-time favourite wolverines but I agree that Mitch would definitely be a better choice at the five. As much as I like Manny, he’s not a four, so maybe Sims could take his place.

I think they got the list right.

I imagine McGary’s absence was due to him only playing at an elite level for a very brief duration. This got me thinking of ranking the best individual seasons in the Beilein era, taking the entire season into consideration. Here is my list:

1. Burke (2013): Speaks for itself.

2. Stauskas (2014): Argument could be made that he was more valuable to the team that year than Burke in '13 since he had less of a supporting cast.

3. Burke (2012): With all due respect to Zack & Stu, he carried them to a share of the B1G that year.

4. Morris (2011): Similar to above, with him carrying the team to NCAAs (as opposed to B1G title).

5. McGary (2013): Shined for only a brief period, but it was the most important time of the year.

Interested to hear others’ thoughts.

I imagine McGary's absence was due to him only playing at an elite level for a very brief duration. This got me thinking of ranking the best individual seasons in the Beilein era, taking the entire season into consideration. Here is my list:
  1. Burke (2013): Speaks for itself.

2. Stauskas (2014): Argument could be made that he was more valuable to the team that year than Burke in '13 since he had less of a supporting cast.

3. Burke (2012): With all due respect to Zack & Stu, he carried them to a share of the B1G that year.

4. Morris (2011): Similar to above, with him carrying the team to NCAAs (as opposed to B1G title).

5. McGary (2013): Shined for only a brief period, but it was the most important time of the year.

Interested to hear others’ thoughts.

I would replace McGary in 2013 with Manny Harris in 2009. He got us over the hump and into the tournament for the first time in a decade and was our best scorer, rebounder, passer and defender. And this all came one season after going 10-22. Those wins against UCLA and Duke were magical.

Sims is one of my all-time favourite wolverines but I agree that Mitch would definitely be a better choice at the five. As much as I like Manny, he's not a four, so maybe Sims could take his place.

FYI it looks like it was more of a “top 5” rather than true “starting 5”
Illinois doesn’t have a guy over 6’5" on their list

A fun tangent to this… If you were building a team and had to choose, would you rather take:

(a) Tim Hardaway Jr OR Manny Harris at the 2/3?

(b) DeShawn Sims OR Glenn Robinson III at the 4?

Not asking who was a “greater” player for Michigan in an abstract sense, but who you would take to fill a specific roster spot on a Michigan dream team if the goal was winning.

P.S. that OSU team w/ Oden, Sullinger, Russell, and Turner would be downright SCARY. (I’d probably add DeShaun Thomas). But I think the Michigan squad would match up well with any other B10 dream squad aside from them.

I would go with Manny; he was more multi-dimensional than Tim and I would take an athletic raw-scorer as opposed to a (primarily) jump shooter.

I’d also take DeShawn over GRIII - need his ability to play with his back to the basket.

A fun tangent to this... If you were building a team and had to choose, would you rather take:

(a) Tim Hardaway Jr OR Manny Harris at the 2/3?

(b) DeShawn Sims OR Glenn Robinson III at the 4?

Not asking who was a “greater” player for Michigan in an abstract sense, but who you would take to fill a specific roster spot on a Michigan dream team if the goal was winning.

P.S. that OSU team w/ Oden, Sullinger, Russell, and Turner would be downright SCARY. (I’d probably add DeShaun Thomas). But I think the Michigan squad would match up well with any other B10 dream squad aside from them.

That OSU team has Dials on it who started there in 2001. Just tells you how much talent OSU has when guys like Conley and Diebler aren’t on the roster.

If I had to make a starting 5 I would go

Burke
Stauskas
Hardaway
Sims
McGary

I went with Hardaway over Manny for the 3 point shooting

Burke, Manny, Hardaway, GRIII, Sims.