Duncan Robinson

ReDonkulous. He went D 3 for a reason. And. We can’t land our choices. Last three are marr, Dawkins & this dude. This will not compete in big 10 or nationally. Dream on if you think it will.

1 Like

Quite frankly, after watching the new footage Dylan just posted on the front page, I’d say that Robinson’s game is actually more diverse than Ryan. He displayed the ability to shoot the jumper off the bounce/screens in addition to straight line drives and the surprising ability to finish with good body control. Not saying the kid is great, but I think he’s just as good, if not better, then Ryan.

Against D3 competition lol

And he was BARELY getting the step on D3 defenders and you know its questionable competition when he is posting up and finishing through 2 and 3 defenders. That isn’t translating.

I wasn’t big on Ryan and a shooter would be fine if UM didn’t need to replace a lottery pick.

I’m going to sit back and hope a scholarship frees somehow and still allows for a dynamic guard in both 2015 and 2016.

Not saying that I don’t agree with you in principle, because quite frankly, I do have some concerns about our recruiting. Only point I’m making is that there is no appreciable difference between Ryan/Robinson.

Going forward, I really wish JB would look to balance the roster with good athletes to balance out the skill we have. I look at our roster, and honestly speaking, the only above average athletes we’ll have on next year’s roster (as of right now) are Walton and Dawkins. We need to upgrade in that department in the worst way.

If Hatch is going on medical then I get it. I also think MAAR can be dynamic at the guard spot but maybe not as soon as next year.

On a brighter note, JB won at WVU with these kinds of talents so UM should still compete but the NBA factory may take a hiatus.

Dylan (or anyone else that knows) - I might have missed it in the article, but how do D3 to D1 transfers work? Do they still have to sit out a year or are they available to play right away?

Dylan (or anyone else that knows) - I might have missed it in the article, but how do D3 to D1 transfers work? Do they still have to sit out a year or are they available to play right away?

I believe he would still have to sit for a year. D3 to D1 is allowed without sitting in all sports other than football, basketball and hockey I believe. Not sure if there is any other exception, but AFAIK he would sit one year and have three to play.

If Hatch is going on medical then I get it. I also think MAAR can be dynamic at the guard spot but maybe not as soon as next year.

On a brighter note, JB won at WVU with these kinds of talents so UM should still compete but the NBA factory may take a hiatus.

Certainly agree with the MAAR projection, he was definitely underrated. I’m a fan of his game.

Not saying that I don't agree with you in principle, because quite frankly, I do have some concerns about our recruiting. Only point I'm making is that there is no appreciable difference between Ryan/Robinson.

Going forward, I really wish JB would look to balance the roster with good athletes to balance out the skill we have. I look at our roster, and honestly speaking, the only above average athletes we’ll have on next year’s roster (as of right now) are Walton and Dawkins. We need to upgrade in that department in the worst way.

Wilson is definitely an above average athlete and I think we saw flashes last year that LeVert may be as well.

Notice I said next year…Levert will not be here. Concerning Wilson, I would not say he’s an above average athlete. He’s above average vertically, but average/below average in terms of lateral agility, straight line speed, and strength. Most of all he only uses his verticality advantage in transition (offensive rebounds at times as well), RARELY uses it to his advantage in half court sets against smaller defenders, his instinct is to avoid contact rather than go through it or above it.

Please tell me a walk-on..........

LOL I knew this would kill “Ben”

We all want the Calipari approach. It’s so much more sexy to talk about the stars.
Beilein’s approach is different and it also works.

Come on now. Nobody is saying we should recruit like Calipari. But we should be able to bring in high end wing talent every year and for whatever reason seem to be striking out on most of our top targets.

Please tell me a walk-on..........

LOL I knew this would kill “Ben”

We all want the Calipari approach. It’s so much more sexy to talk about the stars.
Beilein’s approach is different and it also works.

Come on now. Nobody is saying we should recruit like Calipari. But we should be able to bring in high end wing talent every year and for whatever reason seem to be striking out on most of our top targets.

In fairness, I think JB learned a lesson from limiting the pool too much for 15, hence the much larger offer pool in 16.

Al Davis said it best…just win baby

First off, let me say that I think we need improved recruiting, especially an improvement to the roster from an ahtleticism standpoint.

However, I’ll use a football analogy (admittedly this is probably a poor analogy), and use the football team as an example. UM repeatedly lands upper tier talent and has much success on the recruiting trail, but the on field results… not so much. On the other hand, MSU rarely has a top 25 class in football, and yet they have surpassed us on the gridiron to the point where it’s not even competitive if we’re being honest. Point is, recruiting titles are fine and dandy, and there often is a correlation between recruiting success and productivity, but given the choice…I’ll take wins over recruiting glory.

First off, let me say that I think we need improved recruiting, especially an improvement to the roster from an ahtleticism standpoint.

However, I’ll use a football analogy (admittedly this is probably a poor analogy), and use the football team as an example. UM repeatedly lands upper tier talent and has much success on the recruiting trail, but the on field results… not so much. On the other hand, MSU rarely has a top 25 class in football, and yet they have surpassed us on the gridiron to the point where it’s not even competitive if we’re being honest. Point is, recruiting titles are fine and dandy, and there often is a correlation between recruiting success and productivity, but given the choice…I’ll take wins over recruiting glory.

I’m with you, but its been shown over and over that recruiting higher ranked athletes greatly improves your odds of winning. It is no guarantee obviously, but it sure helps. I frankly am surprised that we have missed on so many wings lately given our on-court success and the coaching staff’s demonstrated ability to develop players. Maybe it is a little of what Izzo was complaining about with too many outside influences directing some kids to certain programs?

“Too many outside influences directing some kids to certain programs.” ------ that sums it up.

The constant hand-wringing about recruiting never ceases to amaze me.

I think this Robinson kid looks pretty good on film. Frankly, he looks a lot like Gordon Heyward to me at a similar age - another guy Beilein spotted early and, I’m sure, a guy about whom 95% of this board would have said, “Why are we recruiting this guy?” He certainly looks better than Smotrycz in every respect to me, and Evan could play a this level, he was just a malcontent.

It also seems to me we have another scholarship to give for 2015 - Caris will leave, Max won’t be back.

Despite all the incessant complaining by a few select individuals, all the practice reports about the new class have been glowing this far.

I just wonder how many “under the radar” types we have to successfully recruit before fans realize JB knows exactly what he is doing. To recap: Tim, Trey, Glenn (when he first committed), Nik, Caris - all guys who were not recruited by the big schools (allegedly Kansas was “looking at” Nik, but his next biggest offer was Iowa State).

And finally, even if Duncan Robinson’s ceiling isn’t as high as I think it could be, so what? Every team needs some role players. It seems like we are gearing up for a real strong 2016 class. So, add a likely four year player to that mix, and why is that bad exactly?

I love how everyone wants us to follow the Kentucky model. Last time we did that, we had a totally dysfunctional team (The Taylor class followed by the Traylor class). Not to mention we landed on serious probation.

I’ll start to question recruiting when we aren’t winning at a high clip or producing NBA talent. We’ve been doing both for four years in a row now.

You come off 1000x more whiney than anyone else in this thread.

Its not good to use strawmans and rattle off platitudes.

The constant hand-wringing about recruiting never ceases to amaze me.

I think this Robinson kid looks pretty good on film. Frankly, he looks a lot like Gordon Heyward to me at a similar age - another guy Beilein spotted early and, I’m sure, a guy about whom 95% of this board would have said, “Why are we recruiting this guy?” He certainly looks better than Smotrycz in every respect to me, and Evan could play a this level, he was just a malcontent.

It also seems to me we have another scholarship to give for 2015 - Caris will leave, Max won’t be back.

Despite all the incessant complaining by a few select individuals, all the practice reports about the new class have been glowing this far.

I just wonder how many “under the radar” types we have to successfully recruit before fans realize JB knows exactly what he is doing. To recap: Tim, Trey, Glenn (when he first committed), Nik, Caris - all guys who were not recruited by the big schools (allegedly Kansas was “looking at” Nik, but his next biggest offer was Iowa State).

And finally, even if Duncan Robinson’s ceiling isn’t as high as I think it could be, so what? Every team needs some role players. It seems like we are gearing up for a real strong 2016 class. So, add a likely four year player to that mix, and why is that bad exactly?

I love how everyone wants us to follow the Kentucky model. Last time we did that, we had a totally dysfunctional team (The Taylor class followed by the Traylor class). Not to mention we landed on serious probation.

I’ll start to question recruiting when we aren’t winning at a high clip or producing NBA talent. We’ve been doing both for four years in a row now.

LAW, I’m in your camp. I actually like Robinson’s film, especially the DIII final four footage. Williams runs the same stuff that we do since Maker is a Beilein protege. Robinson utilized high ball screens very well, and there’s no question that he can knock down shots. He hasn’t had the benefit of Camp Sanderson yet. We’d all feel better with a Coleman commit, and no one would question it. But Beilein has said that he gives no weight to rankings. Personally, I think that Robinson has a lot of upside.

I think this is the concern - with winning you expect a corresponding growth in recruiting…thus far that has not come to fruition, hence the worry. I will be patient until 2016, if we can not up our game in terms of recruiting, I can certainly see things going south a bit. Not to the point of not being competitive, but to me it is more than just chance that we had our best 2 seasons in 20 years with 7 consensus top 100 players on the roster (and 1 fringe - THJ) over that time period.

Well, we’ll still have several consensus top 100 players for at least the next two years (Walton, Irvin, Chatman, Wilson, Donnal), and I’d be quite surprised if we don’t add a couple in 2016. And of course that doesn’t count Caris. And I’ll go out on a limb and predict now that Dawkins is an NBA talent.

I would agree you don’t want your entire class to consistent of unheard of guys. Going forward, I think we’ll see a mix of guys like Thornton and guys like Towns.