DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

This.

Oh, and this, too:

1 Like
1 Like

How likely is the Iggy thing? That would be a nice consolation prize.

Defense and rebounding are going to be major soft spot with that lineup at the 4.

Hey, I think you fixed it! Nicely done (edit: dang it, still donā€™t have the patreon thing - will try logging in differently).

More later on DJ, but I am also very sensitive to the idea his stock could have dropped next year. I donā€™t think this was a no brainer either way - definitely a tough decision. Taken as a whole, I think a year as a team leader would have done wonders for his career long-term, and while he always struck me as an extremely thoughtful, creative, intelligent guy, he always struck me as a young 21. I think kids have no idea how real ā€œrealā€ is when everyoneā€™s fighting for their careers, their lives. People are going to be looking to eat his lunch every day, just like Jordan Bell did, and that guy even ate his fries.

Iā€™m confused by what Ford says about teams liking him at the workouts - did he workout with some teams before the combine? As an NBA team, Iā€™d be very concerned about a guy who can check in and out like DJ, but if someone is willing to put a first round chip on him, whatever concerns I have, Iā€™ll be very happy for him.

1 Like

he would not play the starting 4 at all.

I will say one difference between Bridges and DJ is the insurance policy.

If Bridges drops, odds are it will almost entirely be due to injury. DJ could have dropped due to play, in which case, insurance wouldnā€™t pay a dime.

So, ironically, by being a more canā€™t-miss prospect, with the new insurance rules in place (colleges can pay for the policy), a Bridges was less likely to end up in this draft. Crazy, but probably true.

What rules are you referring to?

I believe that now colleges are allowed to pay for a kidā€™s insurance policy. So itā€™s not just kids taking out insurance policies on themselves - now colleges can cover the cost and therefore a kid can end up with a really substantial insurance policy.

Being confirmed by multiple sources now and looks like the University even confirmed. To the Jazz isnā€™t a bad spot for him. I donā€™t see them playing him much but at some point him at the 3 in a lineup with Gobert, Favors, Hood and Hill/Exum definitely has some length. Plus I feel like Quinn is a good teacher of the game.

2 Likes

Since 2010, total # of players that have left early and actually gotten drafted per big Ten school:

Michigan- 7 (presuming Wilson gets drafted)
Indiana- 4 (presuming Thomas Bryant gets drafted)
Ohio State- 4
Maryland- 4 (presuming Trimble gets drafted)
MSU- 2
Wisconsin- 1
Illinois- 1
Iowa- 1

8 Likes

It baffles me that colleges can pay for this.

That is nuts. Credit to JB and the staff for their development. I just wish it didnā€™t come at the expense of the teamā€™s success the following seasons.

1 Like

For as much as beilein gets blasted for his recruiting results and tactics by some, this is a giant middle finger to those people.

5 Likes

Would be curious to know the average recruiting rank, too; thereā€™s guys like GR3 and Mitch who were expected to make it, and then guys like Tim and Caris whose ranks didnt suggest much hope of a pro career.

To think that JB developed the hell out so many guys, then was almost sunk by one (very) failed class, in 2014ā€“because injuries and departures robbed him of depth/insurance.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely an interesting development. Iā€™m not sure how it doesnā€™t create an uneven playing field. Hollis probably wanted it because Izzo asked for it, and there it is. Maybe they should be saving some of that money for all the lawsuits.

1 Like

We all know JB is a horrible recruiter. Now, If we could just get JB to do a worse job developing this awful talent then Maybe we could be in businessā€¦

6 Likes

Wow. That is interesting.

1 Like