DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

Derrick Walton scored 9 points and had 7 assists in scrimmage play. Was 2-of-7 from the floor, just 1 turnover in 23 mins.

Moe Wagner had 13 points and 4 rebounds in 26 minutes. Shot 5-of-11 from the floor and made 1-of-4 triples.

Dion Waiters had a guarantee from the Cavs when he left Syracuse. He cancelled all of his workouts super early, seemed really weird and then they drafted him.

I think a guarantee at 24 or 30 is a tough spot to get one. Obviously, it would be great for DJ but it’s a weird spot for it. If that’s the case then Utah has already given up on Trey Lyles, their lottery pick a few years back.

2 Likes

No, it’s not. It’s like Jim Harbaugh not recruiting another RB because he got a silent commitment.

And, traditionally, such promises are better than silent commitments because teams don’t want to screw over agents, because that can come back to bite them. Of course, DJ doesn’t officially have an agent, so who knows.

…and I’d further add that, in a recruiting scenario, there is benefit to a public commitment if you’re a 5* because it may entice other 5*s to join you…but in the context of a draft, you wouldn’t announce your pick at #30 publicly for obvious reasons. More reasons a draft promise is in fact better than a silent commitment.

McGary skipped the combine completely and refused to work out for teams and many assumed he had a guarantee. Every year there are rumors and stories about possible guarantees/promises. And both sides can benefit.

1 Like

As you pointed out, there’s a big difference between a guarantee at #4 and a guaranteed at #30. Particularly that specific year where there was a no-brainier top pick. It could have been as simple as CLE having Waiters #2 on their board and telling him no need to visit anyone behind them.

Beyond that, publicly teams lie about their plans. They’re more concerned about another team “stealing their prospect” than they are an agent’s feelings. So if a team is going on the record that it really likes a player late in the round, it is more likely than not a false-flag smokescreen to hide its real priority.

I don’t doubt that teams late in R1/early in R2 are intrigued by Wilson. Nor do I doubt that a group of teams would strongly consider selecting him if he stays in the draft. I just doubt that any of them would go on the record with their true plans at this juncture.

All ties back to the most logical reason for him not participating in 5-on-5 games is in fact a real injury that he doesn’t want to further aggravate.

[quote=“YostsGhosts, post:186, topic:2541”]So if a team is going on the record that it really likes a player late in the round, it is more likely than not a false-flag smokescreen to hide its real priority.

I just doubt that any of them would go on the record with their true plans at this juncture.
[/quote]

Of course they’re not going to go on the record. That’s the very reason there would be a headfake injury story.

And the reason you make the promise as the NBA franchise is, if you don’t, the prospect may not be in the draft at all, so you hedge your bet.

1 Like

Mo is an impressive young man. Very smart. I appreciate how straight forward and open he is about a difficult decision. (I also can’t believe how much his English has improved.)

2 Likes

Mo is a class act. He’s clearly weighing his words carefully before he speaks and avoiding traps. How come he knows this stuff at 19 years old?

8 Likes

Mo for president!

But seriously, one of the great things about following JB’s teams is how awesome and interesting the kids he recruits are as people. I listen to Bamba’s interviews and I think, man, this kid, if he chose to explore being a spokesperson, has a shot to be sitting alongside Ernie, Shaq, Kenny or Charles someday…

If he plays his cards right maybe Harbaugh will have him be an announcer for the next Signing of the Stars.

1 Like
1 Like

-This is our first look at the official measurements for Michigan redshirt sophomore D.J. Wilson. He measured at 6’10.5 with shoes, weighed in at 234 pounds and posted an impressive 7’3 wingspan. His measurements are very similar to those of former first round pick Gorgui Dieng who measured at 6’10,75, with a 7.'3.5 wingspan and weighed 230 pounds at the 2013 Combine. Wilson’s length, fluid athleticism, and budding perimeter skill set certainty make him an intriguing prospect should he choose to stay in this year’s draft.

-This was also the first look we got at the official measurements of Wilsons teammate, German born big man Moritz Wagner. The sophomore, who is testing the draft waters, measured 6’11.25 with shoes on (95th percentile) but posted just a 7’0 wingspan. His hand width measurement of 10.75 was tied with Harry Giles for the largest measured at this year’s combine. Was has similar dimensions to Enes Kanter who measured 6’11.25 with a 7’1.5 wingspan at the 2011 NBA Combine.

1 Like
1 Like
5 Likes

Walton only jumps high when he smells a rebound. Layups are mundane to him

3 Likes