DeVante' Jones in concussion protocol, did not travel to Indianapolis

, if CSU is in the bonus, we want Eli shooting from the stripe rather than Frankie …

1 Like

Spain with Eli as ball handler

Spain this Spain that. Let’s run some Croatia PnR for ya boi

1 Like

Literally all I’ve wanted all season is ONE (1) Croatia PnR for Kobe Bufkin

4 Likes

This DJ news is heartbreaking.

That said, and I have no reasonable basis to say this, but for some reason I’m feeling a big game coming from Caleb.

1 Like

When you have open practices, as Dylan said you can’t hide the fact DJ was not out there.

2 Likes

We can…just not this year

Gutted for Jones. Kid transferred in large part to have this opportunity to play in the Tournament. Alas, time for the Frankie Collins experience. They’ll sag on him but that’s an invitation for him to drive to the rim and get buckets or dump it off to Dickenson/Diabate. He’ll have to take some pressure off of Eli else Eli will be gassed 10 minutes into the second half.

3 Likes

Frankie will get his minutes, but I think Kobe may get a good amount of run at the 1 or 2. At least he can hit a 3 from time to time. His defense has stepped up in the last few weeks. Still a crap shoot.

1 Like

Obviously I want Michigan to win and I’m sure I’ll be upset if they lose, but I honestly look at the tourney as gravy to me. When they were 7-7 I basically removed any hope of making it from my head. When the team started to respond and it looked like there was an outside shot, making the tourney became my goal for this season. We somehow did the bare minimum to qualify and that made me really happy.

No one expects this team to go very far, and I’m gutted for Devante like others here, but I’m at peace with the possibility of being one and done, though clearly I want more! Just happy to see UM continue the streak this year. As I said the other day, I went through my late teens and early 20’s just wanting to see Michigan in the tourney once. Now its such a regular occurrence that its a huge disappointment not to make it. Very happy we are at that kind of place as a program.

9 Likes

Are they moving the game to Crisler?

Not sure what you mean. Open practice in Indy today. So it will be obvious he is not there, thus they confirmed he did not travel today. The original post was why did they not wait until Thursday so CSU could not prepare for him not being there.

2 Likes

Sorry meant to reply to the post saying Houstan will shoot well

1 Like

Solid point for that post. Let’s hope a second time in Indy feels like home.

1 Like

Frankie and Hunter pick and rolls all day long! Let’s go!!!

2 Likes

Possible, and there is a cumulative effect on how much punishment one can withstand. One has to look seriously at the end of the game against OSU where he got decked, and the sudden collapse against Indiana. Clearly at the Indiana game it was an uncharacteristic collapse where he committed one unforced turnover after another.

Somebody mentioned the Hoky and Morris incident. A player like Devante who has seen how many games Curbelo missed due to protocol, will have a hard time to admit he is suffering from concussion symptoms, especially when he is so close to his dream. I cannot blame him for this, but after what happened at the Indiana collapse, If I am a coach, I will make sure he gets through all possible tests.

2 Likes

The Devante news probably isn’t entirely out there yet, but we have gone from 2.5pt favorites to 1.5pts

1 Like

Feel like this speculation is entirely unwarranted. As far as I know there is no build up to a concussion, it’s not a fatigue or high workload issue that builds up over time. You either get concussed or you don’t. The implication that he’s been playing with concussion symptoms for 2+ weeks because he had a couple string of turnovers in a few games, while ignoring him having literally the best game of his career 10 days ago is odd.

Especially with Howard saying it was an elbow to the face in practice

5 Likes

Reading some of the comments, I do think this sets up nicely for Frankie to use his best skill - beating a man off the dribble. I know it has lead to turnovers in the past, but CSU is going to switch and he’s going to find himself being guarded by a Mountain West forward - bring it on. He doesn’t need to score 20 points, he just needs to pick a few spots to attack. I also think his quickness on defense will help against their PG more than DeVante.

I’m terrified of the three forward lineup almost as much as I am about Kobe or Frankie playing 20+ minutes, but I think CSU has a couple of players who are mostly catch-and-shoot so maybe it isn’t all bad and maybe if you go really small you can start switching everything more.

Don’t get me wrong, I went from feeling like we have a good shot at winning to feeling like we’re probably going to lose…but CSU isn’t the worst opponent to have this happen against.

2 Likes

Which is more likely. A Frankie dunk or a Frankie made three?

2 Likes