DeVante' Jones in concussion protocol, did not travel to Indianapolis

Can’t put a DJ body double out there for open practice :rofl:

9 Likes

There’s no rule against it!

4 Likes

“Have a hard time even feeling bad for myself 'cause I’m just gutted for Devante. Hate it for him!”

I agree. You know, I have the perspective of having experienced so many great moments in Michigan Basketball over a period of decades, and some difficult and heart wrenching ones, too. So, it’s become, more than anything for me, about the kids, the ones that practice their hearts out every day in hopes that their dreams will come true. That’s my biggest concern, a concern for Devante’ and his teammates who have worked so hard to make this dream come true.

I’m also concerned for Devante’s health, quite frankly. Concussions can linger and they can cause problems down the line. I hope, more than anything really, that Devante’ recovers completely, and that going forward whether it’s in the moments in the coming week(s) or so, or in his life after Michigan he can have many opportunities to make his dreams come true.

Having said the above, I DO hope our guys can rise to this occasion and that out of adversity, tomorrow, and then Saturday, and going forward with their lives, good things will happen and dreams will come true. Rally around one another, young men. Rally around. Go Blue!!! :blue_heart:

12 Likes

What’s the big concern there? Moore is not really an on-ball guy.

Practice? We talking about practice. Not a game. Not a game. We talking about practice. Not a game. Not the game that he goes out there and dies for and play every game like it’s his last. Not the game. We talking about practice, man.

3 Likes

hey I’ve had five concussions and look at me. Perfectly normal

7 Likes

Gamesmanship sir. Undisclosed absence. Or maybe Brandon Wade in a #3 jersey. He can finally fulfill Ant Wright’s prophecy of being an integral part of the team. We gotta think outside the box here.

2 Likes

I’ve never had a concussion and I’m FAR from normal, so there’s that! :grin:

1 Like

What’s the concern with 4 poor lateral defenders trying to defend a team that runs a lot of perimeter actions? Huh? Defending them was a concern with Devante and 2 guards in the lineup. How would one guard not be a huge concern?

I mean, sure but is Kobe Bufkin or Terrance Williams a better off-ball defender? Neither is good but I don’t think there’s a huge drop off in either direction. Who can take coaching better in game and respond to an NCAA Tournament setting? I’m guessing probably TW.

6 Likes

Yeah I just feel like without DJ it is going to be a disaster defensively unless they are able to play zone or something. Better score a lot of points

Frankie is a defensive upgrade though, I’d say.

8 Likes

I’m not sure defense was ever this team’s priority. It’s not like DJ has been a lock down defender ala Franz…

I’m more worried about initiating our offense and being able to make 3s.

Also, DJ has been our go to initiator in the last 2-3 minutes of games. I’m not sure what we’re doing if it comes down to a 1 possession game, but I’m leaning toward a shot clock violation :rofl:

2 Likes

Sounds to me like he’s due.

9 Likes

Frankie is going to get to the rim in this game, and when he gets there, there won’t be a good shotblocker waiting for him. But, yeah, makes it so easy to double HD. The case for Frankie is on D, if there’s a great case to be made.

7 Likes

TWill Isolation

2 Likes

That’s a good point. We’ve seen this with Eli. Fantastic player but not an iso scorer

1 Like

I love a 15-foot turnaround jump shot as much as the next man, but…

Not that has much to do with the recent injury and not sure when he’s injured because he tends to lay on the court quite a bit, but I legit thought Devante got KO’d at the end of the Iowa game after Bohannan’s heave so maybe has been kind of an accumulation of things before an elbow in practice kind of was the last straw.

Should be a time stamped link, but if not, it’s at 15:57.

1 Like

Michigan has gone to Eli late as a PNR initiator and with a bunch of Spain PNR type stuff and he’s done well at different spots.

6 Likes