Conference wins

3-1 so far, but things are about to start getting tough. I think 9-9 is plausible though and 10 wins is attainable.

I’d have a hard time betting over or under 9 wins at even money.

MattD, do you remember what our conference record bet was?

I could see 9 or 10 wins as possible. Unfortunately I think they will need 11 or 12 to make the tourney this year. Maybe if we can get 10 wins with splitting against Sparty and OSU would be enough but certainly no guarantee. The conference is down across the board this year except Wiscy.

3-1 so far, but things are about to start getting tough. I think 9-9 is plausible though and 10 wins is attainable.

I’d have a hard time betting over or under 9 wins at even money.

MattD, do you remember what our conference record bet was?

Honestly, I don’t. Cautiously I’m inclined to believe 11 wins was the threshold. Ill take your word on this.

Hate to be a downer on our 3-1 start, but the collective records of our 3 conference opponent victories is 1-9. Considering we had to overcome large deficits at home for two of those victories may be more indicative of fools gold than improvement. Time will tell

“Hate to be a downer” - said MattD never :p.

We had grey area for ties. Maybe 8-10 and 9-9 were ties, 10-8 was a win for me and 7-11 was a win for you?

We had grey area for ties. Maybe 8-10 and 9-9 were ties, 10-8 was a win for me and 7-11 was a win for you?

To be totally honest with you, im so invested in Harbaugh-mania that I haven’t been as invested in basketball as I’d like to be. We have our qualms, but you strike me as a trustworthy guy, so I’ll accept as true whatever you say.

Shocked at how easy this was to find. 11 and up you win, 8 and below for me. 9-10 push

http://forum.umhoops.com/discussion/1099/my-observations-from-the-open-practice/p3

This team is maddeningly inconsistent as expected with the turnover. It’s suicide to predict anything at this juncture, but fun. If anybody would have told me we’d be 3-1 after NJIT and Eastern, I wouldn’t have believed it. But we have beaten the teams we should have ( 1-9 ) and still have 4 games combined vs. NU and Rutgers. Dangerous to call those Ws, but I like our chances there. If we can hold serve at home ( - Wisky ) we are a "threat " to make tourney, IMO.
Despite the obvious struggles as a team, the most disappointing thing to me so far is the absolute non-contributions of Chatman and Donnal. Thought they had a spot on this squad.

I’ve suggested it before in passing, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Chatman transfer. His body language looks very poor to me.

Hate to be a downer on our 3-1 start, but the collective records of our 3 conference opponent victories is 1-9. Considering we had to overcome large deficits at home for two of those victories may be more indicative of fools gold than improvement. Time will tell

Is that 1-9 the record going into the michigan game for opponents? Overall conf records of michigan opponents so far is 3-11.

In response to the OP, I think you can almost pick any record as possible for michigan right now. This conference is as wide open as I can ever remember it. There is one really good team (Wisconsin), a couple pretty decent teams (osu, Maryland and maybe msu) and then a ton of average teams (including michigan). Not real sure there are any truly bad teams (perhaps NW or Rutgers, though I have not watched much of either).

In terms of making the tournament, I believe 11 is the number without factoring in anything from the B1G tourney. This team has been so Jekyll and Hyde this year, that I have no idea if they will do that or not. We have definitely seen improvement over the last couple of games in terms of the quality of play, but the results possession to possession continue disappointment due to the inconsistent shooting and defensive lapses.

Is that 1-9 the record going into the michigan game for opponents? Overall conf records of michigan opponents so far is 3-11.

In response to the OP, I think you can almost pick any record as possible for michigan right now. This conference is as wide open as I can ever remember it. There is one really good team (Wisconsin), a couple pretty decent teams (osu, Maryland and maybe msu) and then a ton of average teams (including michigan). Not real sure there are any truly bad teams (perhaps NW or Rutgers, though I have not watched much of either).

In terms of making the tournament, I believe 11 is the number without factoring in anything from the B1G tourney. This team has been so Jekyll and Hyde this year, that I have no idea if they will do that or not. We have definitely seen improvement over the last couple of games in terms of the quality of play, but the results possession to possession continue disappointment due to the inconsistent shooting and defensive lapses.

Perhaps has you missed it, the 1-9 collective record is relevant only to our victories. Also, I don’t think we’ve seen much improvement, as much as we’ve played poor teams that have allowed us to hang around just long enough to steal a few.

Perhaps has you missed it, the 1-9 collective record is relevant only to our victories. Also, I don’t think we’ve seen much improvement, as much as we’ve played poor teams that have allowed us to hang around just long enough to steal a few.

Ah, misread the “conference victories” part. Disagree, on the improvement thing. This team is running offense much more fluidly then they were a month ago. They are also showing some defensive intensity more often of late. As I said, the results have not always been there since they just cannot shoot the ball and still suffer from youthful defensive lapses.

In terms of predicting the future success of this team, it is more encouraging to see them doing things right and not getting results than doing things wrong and luckily making some shots. I still think this team could put it all together and be pretty decent by the end of the year. Unfortunately they have dug themselves such a hole that its gonna be tough to dig out.

I also disagree with you on chatman’s body language. He may transfer at some point (not sure why he would), but I don’t think his body language has changed at all. He looks and reacts the same to me as he did when he was starting and playing more. He just seems like a guy that is frustrated because he just cannot seem to find his role within the speed of the game. He is either thinking too much or not thinking at all.

They may be 1-9, but Minnesota and Illinois I would still count as solid wins, regardless of what their records say.

Shocked at how easy this was to find. 11 and up you win, 8 and below for me. 9-10 push

http://forum.umhoops.com/discussion/1099/my-observations-from-the-open-practice/p3

Matt, will you be able to easily “relocate” the preseason prediction thread as well? It’d be fun to look back on that after the season.

Matt, will you be able to easily “relocate” the preseason prediction thread as well? It’d be fun to look back on that after the season.

Im gonna take the high road in that one Chez!

I just remember everyone predicting both Donnal and Chatman to average near double digits. Little did we know… I do think that several people expected Doyle to take over the starting job sometime during the season, it would be interesting to see who called that correctly.

I just remember everyone predicting both Donnal and Chatman to average near double digits. Little did we know.... I do think that several people expected Doyle to take over the starting job sometime during the season, it would be interesting to see who called that correctly.

I was leery of the Donnal hype because we heard the same thing about McLimans. Chatman is a huge surprise though. He just doesn’t have it.

I hope Chatman does not feel like transferring as MattD suggests. I think he is going to be very good in a year or two. I interpreted his body language as a sign that he is down on himself, unfortunately.

They may be 1-9, but Minnesota and Illinois I would still count as solid wins, regardless of what their records say.

After reading Dylan’s latest power rankings, I think I have to disagree here. Illinois and Minny are simply bad teams in a mediocre conference.