College Basketball Open Thread - Saturday, February 8, 2014

Virginia is tied at 44 late to a very bad Georgia Tech team. Pittsburgh is losing at home to a horrible Virginia Tech team. Man, the ACC is just not good at all.

And Nebraska/Northwestern are playing a brutal 22-16 game…

Seems to be more just bad offense than good defense in that one.

Northwestern loves to play ugly ball.

My my my, I’ve been quite the prophet this year. A month ago I literally said I thought we would probably lose by 20 at Iowa and then this happens. As much as we hate to admit it, the truth is that if this team isn’t hitting 3s were not a very good team. Only 1 game, and I don’t expect to play this poorly again, but you have to be able to compete when the long ball isn’t falling.

Has more to do with Nik’s lack of lateral quickness single handedly destroying what we want to do offensively than not hitting jumpshots.

Agreed, but the point is without nik getting penetration for dumpoffs to the bigs we become one dimensional because we have no post offense. Again im not really concerned because very few teams have that type of size moving forward. God bless our souls if we ever have to play Kansas in the tourney, because that would be very ugly.

Agreed, but the point is without nik getting penetration for dumpoffs to the bigs we become one dimensional because we have no post offense. Again im not really concerned because very few teams have that type of size moving forward. God bless our souls if we ever have to play Kansas in the tourney, because that would be very ugly.

Do you think we take OSU?

I also think Glenn Robinson is the college version of Josh Smith, agree?

OSU is a different story, Iowa has 2 way bigs in White and Basabe that are great rebounders/defenders but can give you 10-15 points a game. OSU has Williams who isn’t much of a threat on offense and that’s pretty much it. Ross isn’t a great rebounder/defender and is very perimeter oriented on offense. Much better matchup for us in my view.

GR3 is simply a bad fit for any team that is primarily a half court offense, he simply lacks the skill to thrive unless you run 10-15 pindowns for an elbow jumper. He would fit so much better for an NBA team like Miami or OKC that forces a ton of TOs that allows him to get out on the break. If he played for the Lakers for example, which is a horrible perimeter D team, I honestly think he would really struggle to the point where he might be sent to the Dleague. GR3 is a perimeter playing out of position at Michigan, he simply isn’t a 4 in any sense of the word. Smith on the other hand actually is a 4 on D and O. He simply shoots too many 3s and isn’t very efficient at it. Not much the Pistons can do though, Monroe certainly can’t play the 3, so they have to make due.

Also, is it me or does our team really lack lateral quickness/speed? Other than Walton we seem to be lacking in that area. Caris is average to slightly above average in that area, but Marble made him look relatively flat footed a few times today. Also Irvin on a break away layup looked downright slow, he is nowhere near the defender I anticipated, but has exceeded my expectations on offense, even if he is one dimensional in that regard. He is basically THJ freshman without hops at this point. A summer of ball handing/footwork would do wonders for his game.

Caris has the best lateral quickness and first step on the team LOL

Let’s not forget that he did a great job on Marble the first time while Walton continually gets broken down off the dribble

This has to be a joke. Walton is so much quicker and faster than Caris it isn’t even funny. Caris is decent but Walton is literally much quicker and faster and that is the truth. I don’t think is anywhere near is as athletic as you give him credit for. Yogi was literally on another stratosphere in terms of quickness

All I know is that LeVert NEVER has a trouble blowing past ANY defender to get into the lane while Walton can’t even do that against Gessell…

You have to be kidding me, Levert literally never gets past a defender one on one, always needs a screen and that is real. If they lined up for a race from one end of the court to the next, Walton would beat Caris by a healthy margin and you know it. When Derrick scored the and 1 against MSU to go up 6 - that is what you call speed/quickness. He closed the gap on trice in a heartbeat despite the fact that Trice had the angle, and the fact that Trice is not slow himself. Get real here, Caris has length, not supreme quickness or speed. He’s just an average athlete by NBA standards

We aren’t watching the same thing. Anyone with eyes can see that LeVert doesn’t need a ball screen.

Derrick has better North-South speed and that is where it ends and even that is closer since LeVert is our best transition player.

Just agree to disagree, Walton is both faster and quicker by a healthy margin. Levert is more experienced and has a better grasp of what he can and can’t do at this point, but Walton has more upside in college in my view. Walton will be lethal next year, mark my word. He can get past anyone off the dribble and can knock down the jump shot with consistency. Needs to learn pull-up 8-10 footer/floater in the lane and that’s it.

Caris is our best NBA prospect so how does Walton have more upside? Walton is at best, the 5th best prospect on our team.

It’s not like Caris has added a floater and pull-up, either.

First off, best NBA prospect? C’mon buddy lets just stop it with that.

Notice I said college in terms of upside, size isn’t Walton’s friend in the league. I think you’re going to be surprised by Caris’ future if he makes it to the league. He is an average to slightly below average in the league and you know that. Not a PG and not a SG, he’s a guy that will come of the bench and need to dominate the ball to score, and hopefully he will do that.

We will see. Caris is going to be of the same caliber of prospect as Exum and MCW when it’s done. He is what the Harrison twins were advertised to be coming into college.

Caris has improved exponentially, no doubt about that. Footwork is really good as well. Good player and if he can really improve his decision making he can take his game to another level