College Basketball Open Discussion

I have a few Texas fans I know and they all say they would be shocked if this wasn’t his last year.

I feel like we really lucked out by getting Howard. The other candidates on that short list were uninspiring.

8 Likes

Georgetown, without its two best players (Yurtseven and McClung), and with only five scholarship players available, goes into Hinkle and takes down Butler.

Really incredible that Michigan had such a crappy initial list of coaches, but wound up with someone who recruits at an extremely high level, who looks (so far) like he can coach well, and who represents the university extremely well. Makes me laugh looking back at the initial list of candidates. That Ed Cooley thing would have been pretty brutal.

5 Likes

Just a heads up, you can still get Michigan at +4000 on DraftKings. Not related at all, but a VPN is your friend.

1 Like

Butler’s been an enigma for the past month or so. Sprinted out to a 15-1 record but now only 4-6 since.

2 Likes

I was becoming convinced that Cooley was getting the job. Then at other times people were trying talk up Smart’s abilities. I felt the only hope was Howard. I don’t pretend to know what’s coming, but I think we can all see some pretty encouraging signs on a variety of fronts. Plus Cooley has that odd hair condition, while Howard has a perfectly normal head of hair.

The list of candidates other than Howard was like the Sparty football candidate list minus Fickell.

4 Likes

Some time during the search I got this terrible feeling like I’d enjoyed the best era of Michigan basketball I’d ever see and it was going to return to mediocrity. I have a much better feeling now. Will be nearly impossible to beat the 2010s unless we actually win a championship. But I think we’re going to at least continue to have fun teams and stick towards the top half of the conference

13 Likes

And what a difference in the price tags of the coaches they signed. I think Warde’s list would have been different if he was as willing to spend as big as MSU.

I think yaklich is going to be a good HC one day, no matter what is going on in Austin.

Louisville didn’t want any of that 12-12 Clemson smoke.

4 Likes

I don’t think that price tag was even in the discussion until everyone turned them down and they got desperate.

2 Likes

Exactly. That’s a lot of money for a coach who made his team no better in his one and only season coaching.

1 Like

Having an obviously unqualified AD cost MSU a lot. Not just wasted money, but possibly Fickell.

1 Like

So, uh, Providence is up 32-8 on Seton Hall.

Ed Cooley! They must have that flex dialed in tonight!!!

5 Likes

Fickell is a different cat. Know nothing about Tucker. But I’m not so sure Fickell is some huge loss.

Interested to see it play out.

UVA with an absolute dagger against UNC.

Do we know for a fact that Warde wouldn’t spend top dollar?

In any event, I’m very happy with Juwan right now.