College Basketball Open Discussion

I think we do because he didn’t pursue Billy Donovan. There were reports that his asking price was too high. Also, Jordan wasn’t pursued because of a huge buyout. Donovan would have been a home run hire. Jordan would have also been a natural fit. Juwan popped up on the radar a little later, but Warde was already focused on lower cost options.

1 Like

Patrick Ewing doesn’t get enough respect as
a coach.

That’s different from what I heard, which is that we did in fact reach out to Donovan, he wasn’t interested in leaving the NBA, but he recommended Shaka.

With Jordan, the issue wasn’t the buyout itself, it was whether you want to pay that much for a guy who wasn’t good the past two years.

But either way, as soon as the job opened up, you had Jalen Rose among others pushing hard for Juwan, and that groundswell of support became really hard to ignore.

I heard Donovan would have left the NBA for a $1M raise. OKC wasn’t looking like they had great prospects. Well, the issue with Jordan is that he would have cost more than they thought he was worth and unlike MSU, Warde wasn’t willing to pay it. But without the buyout and without Juwan’s interest, I think he would have gotten the job. Too many hypotheticals, I know. My original point stands, I think. Warde wasn’t willing to pay top dollar or pay well over market value. He would hired a plan B candidate instead. He signed Juwan for less than I would have guessed.

I think he would have paid top dollar (for Donovan, for example), but I agree, we wouldn’t have overpaid for anyone. And that’s probably smart. I’m not confident at all that Tucker was a great hire for MSU. But we’ll find out.

“With no recruits committed for 2020 and top assistant Mike Miller lobbying hard for head coaching jobs behind the scenes, there are reasons to be skeptical about the future.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/spiraling-memphis-on-the-brink-of-becoming-college-basketballs-biggest-disappointment-020821640.html

Could be very relevant to the greg brown recruitment, he’s supposedly the key to it for Memphis and all the tea leaves say miller wants out of Memphis

4 Likes

You would have thought Memphis made the most sense as a location for Brown. Them being horrible really does create an opening.

Between Memphis and Texas both having big coaching question marks, that would be very interesting. Kentucky and Auburn would figure to be players since he took officials there.

I’m watching UNC/ND and Cole Anthony just does not impress me as a top pick. :man_shrugging:

Also, UNC is dreadfully bad. Yikes.

1 Like

Another miserable heartbreaking loss for UNC. What a brutal season.

1 Like

He’s very talented but I agree with you. Something about him just doesn’t scream top 3 to 5 pick. I know he’s battled injuries but his shooting percentage leaves a lot to be desired and he seems like a high volume guy.

1 Like

I know I’m biased because he’s my Rochester boy but I think the mock drafts / prospect rankings are off on Stewart. Also for carey for that matter. They maybe old school post up bigs but both are loads /athletic and play with high motors.

Stewart is going to fall and he’s going to tears someone with constant energy and rim running, rebounding and defense.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Wing - Greg Brown (Offer)

“The group’s goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfers in the 2020-21 academic year.”

That means a one-time transfer without a sit-out year will probably be on the table when this season ends.

• starts new 2021 rotation with possible transfers *
1 Like

This first year is going be nuts though

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the free transfer. Feels like it’ll destroy the stability of the game to an absurd level.

5 Likes