College Basketball Open Discussion

3 bigs is a strange way to construct a 3 on 3 team

2 Likes

From what I can recall watching a little of last year’s, there were a lot of guys chucking up jump shots so this is an interesting roster in that vein. But I readily admit I do not know what type of ball is normal for this tournament nor did I know that the Big Ten won last year.

The exact opposite of last year’s extremely versatile team that had Robert Johnson, JaeSean Tate, Vincent Edwards, and Nate Mason

1 Like

Perimeter, versatile players are much better for a 3 on 3 setting. Where’s the shooting? Where’s the slashing? Where are the perimeter defenders?

1 Like

I hope Glynn Watson has been practicing his post feeds! :rofl:

3 Likes

This team will be fine. Who is going to stop Happ or Murphy one on one down low if Teske isn’t there?!

1 Like

Excited for the Happ, Morgan, Murphy lineup. Is this streamed on Twitter?

1 Like

Haha Watson won’t ever be able to exit the game.

yes I believe all pool play games are on Twitter

An interesting hire for sure…good news is Stack can’t possibly do any worse than Bryce Drew!

Thought he would wait for an NBA team to give him a chance. Might not have been getting too many bites. But if he can turn around Vanderbilt, he might get that shot

I’d think Stack has little to no interest in coaching Vanderbilt, but realizes that his current resume isn’t getting him what he wants (an NBA gig) - whether that’s just or not, is up to you. Personally, I think it’s nuts that Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher we’re top tier coaching prospects without a hot second of experience (and Doug Christie now), but somehow Stackhouse is looked upon with skepticism.

On the other hand, he’s definitely a tough guy, and possibly the modern NBA’s most famous hard-ass, and it’s possible there isntrepodation as to how he’s going to fit in a bureaucratic organization.

Vanderbilt isn’t short of talent - Drew has two big recruits last year, one who didn’t play due to injury, and the other who struggled, and some other major recruits signed to come in this year. If he can retain a decent amount of that and put together a hot class or two (as a younger guy some of these recruits may remember playing in the league, it’s certainly possible) I can see him in greener pastures quickly.

Why does everyone use the term “modern” nba? It’s just the nba

2 Likes

Shittu declared for the draft so the cupboard isn’t as filled as hoped for them.

Vandy had two more big recruits besides Garland and Shittu? Because both of them are off to the NBA

Well because if I talk about hard-asses I’m used to my dad chewing my ear off about Dave Cowens, or I may chew someone’s ear off about Charles Oakley or Bill Lambier and I recognize that Stackhouse is of a different frame of reference.

2 Likes

I’d like to take a minute to point out that Jamal Cain’s minutes dropped from 17mpg (freshman year) to 8mpg (sophomore year) and he averaged less than 2ppg this year. One poster’s incessant bashing of our staff for not going after Cain harder is looking more and more ridiculous.

6 Likes

I believe Shittu doesn’t plan to get an agent, so he could still return. Garland, the better recruit, literally dropped out of school in January when he was injured—so he’s gone.

The way the new rules work is that a lot of guys can get certain agents that the NCAA knows to help them get feedback. So I believe he will likely get a agent to work with through this process. His initial plan was to always one and done so i wouldn’t be shocked if Shittu still leaves even though I don’t think he’s projected to get drafted.

I agree. I was just pointing out that he can return as of now. I’ll be surprised if he does.