College Basketball Open Discussion

Am I the only one who heard Seth Greenberg state that “UConn is going to make a deep run in the tournament”? Don’t you have to actually make the tournament first?

UConn is likely in especially if they get BOTD for Bouknight-less games. A lot of people will pick them bc of Bouknight but I go back and for the with them.

Gotcha. At face value, 7-6 in the Big East didn’t jump out as tourney lock to me, let alone second weekend, as Seth made it sound probable. Probably just evidence I didn’t dig deep enough into their resume.

I’m not saying they’re like a lock or anything but they also have a win over USC that looks very impressive. As I look at bracketmatrix now they’re the last team in, so I thought they were in more comfortably than that

Coolio. Best part about this time of year: no network talking heads can drown out the results. Except if it’s Duke. They’ll get in no matter what.

1 Like

Yeah I actually don’t think UConn is in all that good a spot to make the tourney. Recently the committee hasn’t been adjusting for missed time by specific players IIRC, and minus the win over USC their resume is super light. They lost both games vs Creighton (one with a healthy Bouknight), and don’t have another game vs Nova currently scheduled.

What’s their next best win after USC. @ Xavier? And the only game vs a team over .500 they have the rest of the way is @ Seton Hall. I get a lot of their losses are without Bouknight, but if they don’t win out I don’t know how much of a shot they have.

ND was up 17 with about 13 minutes to go. 8 minutes of game time later and Syracuse is up 4 lol

2 Likes

I was really looking forward to mocking Boeheim for getting blown out right after his dickish comments about Jalen Johnson. :sob:

2 Likes

Texas with a casual 53 at the half against WVU, shooting 70% from the field and 58% from 3.

and the Horns lose. One win vs KenPom top 100 the last 7 weeks.

1 Like

Had a four minute scoring drought, then scored 5 points in two possessions, then a three minute scoring drought. Completely blew that game.

Welp, looks like Shaka is more or less who we thought he was all along.

Didn’t watch the game but they’ve lost one game by more than four points in regulation.

That’s a buy low situation for me.

1 Like

That’s a fair assessment. And I recall they were shorthanded in one or two of their recent losses. My take was more of the cheeky variety.

1 Like

Still would have been a better hire than Ed Cooley, fwiw Providence fans are calling for wholesale changes on Cooleys staff.

1 Like

Any mention of Ed Cooley should come with a trigger warning.

7 Likes

Better yet, Cooley should be one of the 6,000 banned words on the site :wink:

4 Likes

Rough day for the Big East bubble teams. UConn was the last team in on BracketMatrix coming into today and lost @ Nova, which was probably their last chance for a good win to secure their spot in the tourney. Then Seton Hall, who was the 3rd 10 seed on BracketMatrix coming into today, lost @ 7-10 Georgetown. This loss will knock them back to squarely on the bubble. UConn plays @ Seton Hall on March 3rd which may be an elimination game for one of them.

Also…Ewing might be turning things around at Georgetown? They started the year 123rd on Torvik and were 3-8 after a loss to Syracuse on January 9th. Then they went on a COVID pause and since then are 4-2 with wins @ Creighton and vs Seton Hall, and the only losses @ Nova and vs Creighton. Up to 7-10 overall, 5-7 in conference and before this win were 79th on Torvik. Ewing also has a 5 man class coming in ranked #11 nationally with a 5 star SG, a 4 star C (Dikembe Mutombo’s son) and 3 more top 200 players.

I’ve kind of been a Ewing believer. The main issue has been talent retention, don’t know if that’s on him or not. But they play a solid brand of ball. If McClung had stuck around they’d be solid.

2 Likes

They also have 4 wins by a single possession. So I think it’s balanced out a bit.