College Basketball Open Discussion

What mocks has he moved back in? Compared to a lot of freshman he’s actually doing pretty well. He was always a 18-27ish person in mocks and that’s still where I’ve seen him

1 Like

Missing some players, but yeah, it’s difficult to watch. They are the kings of zero and one pass possessions.

I watched an interview with Hurley this season where he talked about playing for Coach K at Duke and how he gave him the freedom as PG to improvise and make plays on the fly depending on what the defense was doing and how great that was for their team and his personal development, etc.

All I could think of was how that probably worked great when you were a 3rd or 4th year player in the system, one of the best college PGs of all time, and surrounded by All Americans. He’s extrapolating that personal experience and trying to use it on mediocre teams with a bunch of young players and it just doesn’t work that way. Every possession looks like freestyle time for ASU. They not infrequently have a guard iso on the wing with 4 other players just standing around looking at them waiting for something to happen.

2 Likes

Yep, big difference between being a highly skilled distributor who is free to make plays for himself and his teammates (what Hurley was) and allowing guys to launch from anywhere at their first opportunity.

1 Like

I looked up Christopher’s stats last night after reading these posts and I was surprised they were still pretty decent. HIs outside shot is still a mess in the low 30s but his overall numbers are still good. For some reason (I didn’t watch the game) he only played 17 minutes though.

He was a GTD with a calf bruise

JC is having a good year, but the shooting limits his upside to where he can be drafted and he 100% is not achieving his stated goal of improving the brand. He isn’t going to play in the tournament, plays for a bad team and most of his games are played while people are sleeping in the Eastern time zone. He barely has a college basketball brand and if he’s drafted end of round 1, won’t have much of a “brand” to build on there either.

1 Like

Kind of unrelated but related: Bobby Hurley sucks.

6 Likes

Have not watched or seen any ASU basketball (great way to build the brand!) so took a quick look a KenPom to see where they were. Once I scrolled past MSU I knew they weren’t any good and there they were all the way at 85. Very interesting decision from JC and couldn’t happen to a nicer guy in Bobby Hurley.

3 Likes

He is incredibly annoying, but–further–I don’t see what you get with a one-year player like that, esp. a guard. How can it be satisfying or feel promising to a coach when you’re not building toward anything? A OAD player at almost any other position seems preferable. I’d love to ask him how he sees that.

I just noticed UCLA lost to Washington State last night. UCLA has IMO, been way too high on brackets when they are just not very good without Chris Smith. This loss will hurt for sure. In their last 6 games they have beat Washington at home by 5, beat Cal by 4 (note that Cal and Washington are horrific), loss to injured Stanford, 5 points win over Oregon State (also bad), blowout vs. USC, now a loss to Washington State that was not as close as the score would tell you.

2 Likes

His ability to score at the rim and get his hands on the ball defensively remain strong. But aside from terrible outside shooting he also has a nonexistent assist rate for someone that supposedly could be a lead guard creating out of ball screens.

JC injured his leg in practice and during the game landed on his tailbone after a leaping shot block in the first half. He tried a few possessions in second half but couldn’t go further.

Always has and always will…

1 Like

Will be interesting to see what the committee does with the many Big Ten teams that will likely be included in the top 16.

Pac 12 basketball is a mess. CU is my second team and i follow a ton of pac 12 basketball. CU is up to 11 on kempom and usc is up to 13, trust me the eye test does not match the metrics. UM wants those pac 12 teams as 3-5 seeds in their brackets.

2 Likes

I agree. I’d love a P12 team as a 4 or 5 or 8 or 9.

3 Likes

I’m ready to be upset at the bracket reveal at 12:30. Let’s go.

2 Likes

Just turned in… and they are showing a diving segment?