College Basketball Open Discussion

Yeah he really didn’t play that great. I am just saying that:

1. if he had gathered himself and scored at the buzzer after the steal, that would have been the most “superstar” play we’ve seen all season…
    and
  2. The three he did hit to stretch the lead to 5 in the second OT was the dagger in an otherwise ugly game.

…or a boneheaded travel call that allowed UNC to ice the game at the FT line.

Tennessee looking like trash against Kentucky. Also, Calipari is wearing two masks for some reason (and pulls them both down to talk).

I just saw the Texas-OK State box score. Can someone who watched explain how Cunningham, a 6’8” 220 wing, managed to go 2/17 from two point range??? Were they all bad mid range shots or what?

I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday when I saw that

I only saw the two overtimes in the game, but both teams were launching a lot of bricks. Cunningham seemed to be rushing his shots a bit. He had a few one handed off balance shots near the basket that bounced off the rim.

So i saw on Twitter some chatter about top 5 college basketball rivalries. Surprisingly folks were not all on board with MSU-Michigan being in that top 5. UNC-Duke is the low hanging fruit, but curious what other people would put in their top 5. Mine are:

UNC-Duke
Louisville - UK
Michigan - MSU
Xavier - Cincy
IU - PU

I saw some of that silliness. It’s sad what has happened to some of those rivalries. Gtown/Cuse is still real spirited, but still. I wish those rivalries weren’t lost to realignment.

4 Likes

Yeah I like that top 5, and GT-Cuse was the one I was going to mention as an honorable mention, but the conference realignment kind of ended that

Is that surprising? I feel like most college basketball rivalries are regional, only UNc-Duke really has a national pull. Then the fact Michigan has a big football rivalry works against it in its basketball rivalry perceptions from the outside

Kansas-KState is a pretty big rivalry. I don’t think it gets the national publicity but those 2 fan bases do not get along at all.

This is a cop out to say but The Philadelphia Big 5 is huge.

Illinois-Missouri gets a lot of pub. Ok St.-Oklahoma is a big one, but maybe a little more football oriented?

Michigan-MSU has been odd in that historically, both teams have rarely been good at the same time. That’s changed in the last decade.

6 Likes

Nova is up on Georgetown 20-18 8 minutes into the game. It’s insane to think these two teams and MSU play the same sport.

Georgetown really stinks. I thought Ewing was a great hire but his teams are actually getting worse.

1 Like

Ewing’s inability to move up in the NBA, while desperately trying for years to get a HC job, was a big warning there.

4 Likes

Drake just lost for the first time @ Valpo

So I’ve kind of been sleeping on this take all year… but I haven’t been super impressed by Villanova this year. I like the top 3 B1G teams more and I could easily see them make an early tournament exit

1 Like

I thought it was a complete joke they were ranked ahead of us. I’ll probably also pick them to lose first weekend unless they get a great matchup.

Their resume is pretty light outside of the Texas win. It was hard to get a read on them between their shutdowns and then the Big East being down. This week was rough for them though, and they’ve cemented themselves in the Iowa/OSU mold with a top 10 O and a sub top-50 D.

I’m mostly just excited to see if my favorite Jay Wright stat continues this year. Since 2009 Jay Wright/Nova has made it out of the 2nd round of the tournament two times. Both times they won the title. So if Nova makes it to the Sweet Sixteen just cancel the rest of the tournament, the outcome will already have been determined.