College Basketball Open Discussion

Looks like that was the 2001-2002 season:

Yup. I remember those curls into the lane the they ran over and over again.

I distinctly remember that game as well. Ryan Sidney homecoming game.

2 Likes

Now that you mentioned Ryan Sidney, I can confirm I was at that game. Most years I get to a game a season, usually a non-conference game, perched up in the nosebleed seats. I remember walking back to my car just bummed out about the program. I wanted so much for LaVell Blanchard to be a program carrying stud, but with the sanctions in place my optimism for Michigan basketball should have been more measured.

3 Likes

Generally, the more screening a team does, the more demanding it is to referee. Since there are 4 players involved in any screening situation, there can be a lot going on in a small area of the floor. That small area is usually within the primary coverage area of just one official, and it’s too much to expect just one official to catch everything when 4 players are involved. So, he needs help, and the crew as a whole is responsible for catching any screening issues. Typically, the crew discusses screening in their pre-game conference, and will know when they take the floor who will be responsible for which players in any screening action. That’s why we’ll sometimes see an official who isn’t particularly close to the play make a call (illegal screen, holding a cutter coming off a screen, etc.). The crew would have pre-gamed individual responsibilities, and the call falls out of that pre-game plan. With so many teams today focusing on ballscreens, refereeing ballscreens would be a part of every pre-game conference, and it’s surprising anytime something in ballscreen action is missed.

A tight flex does create a mass of humanity in a fairly tight space, but if the crew has properly pre-gamed how they’ll be refereeing screening action, it shouldn’t be a problem. The toughest teams to referee are teams like Purdue, who are constantly running (sprinting) shooters off of screens away from the ball in an unpredictable fashion. It’s great offence and it can be very tough to referee (and defend) because you never know what’s going to happen. You just have to trust in your pre-game and trust your partners to watch what they’re supposed to be watching. The easiest possessions to referee are zone possessions. There just isn’t as much going on and the offence is generally seeking open space (as opposed to attacking). Working a lower level HS game between two zone teams can feel like stealing money (but you better not miss anything).

13 Likes

Thanks for your response! You are killing it with these referee perspectives!

3 Likes

former top 100 recruit has had a few nice games

So did anyone else not notice Kansas is down 19-18 at the half, at home, to TCU?

1 Like

Why are so many B12 games (this one included) on ESPN+? BTW, TCU currently leading, 33-26, four minutes into the second half.

Bad year for bluebloods continues.

1 Like

I think it’s just a terrible job of the Big 12 getting a good TV deal done. Instead of a standalone network like BTN or SECN, they got the Big 12 network on ESPN+ and the LongHorn network instead.

1 Like

TCU and KU tied at 43 with 8 to go. This is TCU’s first game in 16 days

The Spanish language broadcast is on ESPN 3.

Legendary coach John Chaney passed away today. He wasn’t a big fan of the Fab Five but he was a man of conviction:

Another legend gone. Rest In Peace, Coach.

Can’t believe it’s been 15 years since he retired - time is flying by.

2 Likes

Ouch. That one stings.

While I remember many of his teams and players, I’ll never forget seeing the footage of him storming Calipari’s postgame presser when Cal was at UMass.
[One And Not Done: Coach Cal Vs. Chaney on Vimeo]

3 Likes

I’m sure Coach Martelli is feeling this loss bigtime. Huge A10 rivals for decades.

2 Likes

I saw the headline and thought ``he’s exactly the kind of guy that makes it to 89"

16 Likes

Is this referee Paul Carter??? Doubt it because you make too much sense. :wink: