College Basketball Open Discussion

KenPom’s a pretty big fish to get on the podcast. Nice work!

6 Likes

Were you around in the Fab 5 days?

1 Like

this is an even bolder move in hindsight now that Jalen is almost 50 years old with the world’s greatest hairline

3 Likes

Haha, I was in elementary school during the Fab Five. But, you make a fair point.

1 Like

USC @ ASU, 1/9:

Christopher brothers: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
Mobley brothers: 32 points, 23 rebounds, 2 assists, 7 blocks, 3 turnovers

2 Likes

Christopher made a massive mistake going to asu, his brand and game would be at a different level playing on this um team.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Who is the single non-difference maker freshman starter of the 5 lol

Edit: looks to be a guy named “Reece Beekman” on Virginia. But I know Adam Miller also starts for Illinois so idk.

I’m with your friend, gotta take TTU off the list. In fact they never should have been on there.

1 Like

15 Likes

Providence up 2 at Xavier with under a minute left. Looks like they have a chance to pull off a nice road win.

They’re such an interesting team to me, ignoring the Ed Cooley reasons, because I can’t recall seeing a quality P6 team with a player profile like theirs. According to Torvik, they have 2 players with a PORPAGATU! above 5 (David Duke at 5.1 and Nate Watson at 5.4). No one else on the team is above 1.4.

So far today Duke has 30/6/3 and Watson has 17/14. The rest of the team has 36 combined points. The two of them are so impressive and the rest of the team…isn’t.

1 Like

Really building that brand with a nice start to the season. I guess the positive is that no one watches Pac 12 basketball so the 4-5 record goes unnoticed.

3 Likes

Aaaaand Providence blew it lol

2 Likes

Providence blew a 7pt lead with 67 seconds left. Lost in regulation on a buzzer beater 3.

1 Like

They were up 7 with 1:13 left and lost lol.

That was a fun podcast. Thanks for sharing. Can never have enough people talking about basketball. Was also nice to see Kenpom “in person” and I really liked the discussion since 100% of my job is analytics and machine learning.

Took me a few minutes to figure out who was who (Michigan vs MSU fan) :rofl:

1 Like

Sitting here on January 10 I really think this worked out for the better for Michigan. Being as diverse and connected as Michigan is and using Dickinson as the centerpiece…I just don’t know that would have been there with Christopher in the mix. Chemistry seems to be a strong point and if you bring in a Freshman overly concerned with their brand it could be a totally different mix.

Combined with Fraschilla’s quote above about “Get old, stay old” I think there is a lot of positive about where Michigan is at right now.

5 Likes

His EYBL passing numbers were very good FWIW, I don’t think his play is necessarily selfish. I definitely wonder how he defends though. Brooks is so good on that end…

He’s definitely not a selfish player. Personally I would love to see how he would do under Juwan and surrounded by our roster. I think he’d look really really good.

ASU has one of the lowest AST rates in the country. Their offense is to just iso and Christopher’s been taking way too many pull up mid range jumpers. I don’t think he’d be shooting so many of those in AA.

2 Likes

I’ve been wayyy too high on Texas Tech since preseason cuz I love Shannon/Edwards/Peavy. Probably is that time though