College Basketball Open Discussion

IMO, Beilein’s mid-Michigan career issue was that he was caught off guard when people starting leaving left and right for the NBA and didn’t recruit to account for this possibility. He adjusted pretty quickly and that was that.

5 Likes

#9 West Virginia (Oklahoma) and #7 Tennessee (Alabama) fall to unranked conference opponents

1 Like

Tennessee losing at home to Alabama was a shocker to me, especially following their evisceration of Mizzou in Columbia. WVU losing in Norman was definitely a possibility and less surprising. With a victory tomorrow night, Michigan may leapfrog both.

2 Likes

Perhaps injuries as much as NBA departures. Even allowing for those two factors, his defenses looked abysmal during that period. With the sort of defensive coaching we saw in his last three years, I would guess that the Trey Burke/Tim Hardaway run would have ended in a National Championship.

2 Likes

Yeah Alabama winning was pretty shocking, they haven’t shown much this year. But maybe we’ll start to see more surprises as teams have had a chance to work through some kinks that they otherwise might’ve gotten through in a longer training camp or out-of-conference schedule.

Tennessee interests me. They’re pretty well liked by Kenpom (Still 8 after the loss). A nice mix of super talented freshmen coming off the bench, albeit with 1/2 struggling (Keon Johnson being the one), and an experienced starting lineup. Jaden Springer would’ve been an awesome piece on this Michigan team, it’s too bad Juwan got in a bit too late there. He’s been great on offense for a freshman, but watching his defensive effort is something else. That whole team buys in.

Go to 247 or MGoBlog for that. I enjoy this place because of the actual intelligent basketball conversation as opposed to the Hunter “Dickensen” is going to be a lottery pick after the year takes.

2 Likes

That and injuries. We get a healthy LeVert in his senior year and he is an AA who probably carries our team to the second weekend of the tournament.

1 Like

Castleton scored 15 points in the first 6 minutes of the 2nd half against LSU. The rest of the team had 0. Weird, wild stuff.

I watched the entire game against FSU in which Keyontae Johnson collapsed and Castleton had a total of two touches in the paint in that one.

LOL. I am willing to admit there was a time I believed Joe Dumars could run the Lions better than Matt Millen.

I still believe that.

1 Like

He quote tweeted that saying “finesse lovers” don’t realize he’s now 50% from 3. But Matt doesn’t realize that he’s sub 40% at the rim I guess.

Eli is Don Brown :rofl::rofl::rofl:

He called Wiggins making 4 pivot steps in the lane and going to a fall away jump hook as bullying.

Matt does have some good content on Michigan’s O on his page though that people can check out

1 Like

Who is LABound?

Matt brought some fire to the board and kept us all refreshing for a stretch there; he had some famous misses on people, including DJ Wilson. I only remember objecting when he found it necessary to get a little personal (DJ was ‘tissue-paper soft,’ etc.) This has a little of that savor: ‘simply too small.’ I get that Matt feels he needs to enter the brave new world of video analysis, but that’s not high-level hoops science, IMO; why go after Brooks like that when he’s such a hard-working contributor–and such a smart defensive player, too? A strain of meanness in it. . .

3 Likes

Ya’ll know you can tweet at him if you have opinions about his video :rofl: That’s how Twitter works.

It’s fine to post it here and discuss the basketball content of it, just like any other Michigan hoops content. Don’t need to discuss the authors, though.

I would just point out that any defensive video about Eli that includes only on-ball possessions is missing the more important half of the equation.

5 Likes

Dylan, on a scale of 1 to 10, how tired are you of discussing the opinions of someone who hasn’t posted here in like three or four years? :joy:

1 Like

I’m just glad Man City is up 2-0 this morning. 2021 is off to a good start.

7 Likes

I did. And it was immediately regrettable :rofl:

Edit: If anyone’s curious, it resulted in him blocking me after he got slightly personal and extremely condescending so I tossed a JCL comment in

6 Likes

Honesly, I think that video is fair game. It was posted here, so we commented here!

Literally what I posted was it was completely fine to discuss Eli’s defense and the content in the video. I was just referring to the stuff psychoanalyzing the creator of the video that is a bit of a waste.

As far as Eli’s defense goes, I’m pretty confident that if you went through and graded every player and every possession, especially off the ball, Brooks would grade out as U-M’s best defender.

Those clips outline several plays where he did the right thing but Maryland made a basket. That’s going to happen but defensively you are far more worried as a team about making every possession like that – avoiding any breakdowns – and being consistently in the right position.

4 Likes