College Basketball Open Discussion

Doing there best to avoid airports and such is probably a very good decision. But the facts are that the data shows people under the age of 30 with no pre-existing conditions probably have a better chance of dying in the bus ride than they do by way of Covid.

1 Like

Jake gets some good content but I am very confused by a free trial that costs money…

9 Likes

Now that’s funny. Is it even worth it? His tweets are usually just as informative as his articles most of the time.

So the G-League Select team ends up with the the No. 2,4,17, 20 and 63rd ranked kids in the 2020 class after Kuminga’s announcement last night.

And conveniently has a lineup of players that fit 1-5!

1 Like

Net of the impacts that this is going to have on college basketball, the NBA did a really nice job building this team. Not sure who fills the other 6 or 7 spots on the roster, but I’ll definitely watch a few of their games if they’re able to play.

Getting Kuminga and Green is a coup for the rest of the guys as well. If Todd was the headliner then NBA scouts would be less inclined to check them out. But with those guys at the top they will get lots of eyes

2 Likes

G-league will be glorified scrimmages at the best. i have zero interest watching those games. maybe NBA scouts do.

2 Likes

I mean, they absolutely do with 5 top 20 kids on one floor, which is the point.

To the earlier question about the other 6/7 slots on the roster, they’ve said they want to fill it with older NBA vets who can’t stick on an NBA roster anymore to serve as mentors.

I hate to see college hoops loose out to the G-League. Without fans in the stands it will be tough for kids to embrace the college experience. With change comes opportunity, it could be a good time for the B1G to get it’s own G-league team. They already have their own network, why not sponsor a team and cash in and give the players compensation.

3 Likes

Not sure this will effect Michigan much with their strict admission policies but it certainly can’t hurt Michigan’s chances if pursuing elite talents if this gets passed.

2 Likes

What exactly are you proposing?

Dumb dumb dumb, the minimum requirements have encouraged and driven athletes at minimum to at least try at school. Its also driven high school coaches, parents, advisors and aau coaches to at least somewhat give a crap about academics and hold some of their athletes hands with them. They aren’t that hard to hit, you have not be a huge knucklehead or have some type of learning disability to not hit them.

6 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.10.47 AM

Yeeeeeah, that January 1st conference only thing might be the best case scenario.

2 Likes

I think it’d actually hurt um quite a bit. UM isn’t dipping their standards below the current NCAA minimums and with no minimums to hit kids and people around them wouldn’t be as driven to hit them. Therefore, you’d see way more kids with qualifications below the current ones.

4 Likes

Wait, what?

1 Like

IDK, a type of hybrid program to support a transition from the NCAA to the pros. The kids can get paid, negotiate a contract to graduate in the future and have an affiliation with the B1G. I’m sure it will never happen but the college’s are losing leverage to keep kids on campus.

I like the creativity but I guess I’m unsure why the B1G would want or need to be affiliated with someone that is not playing at any of its institutions. What would be beneficial would be for them to push for NIL or even wages at that point.

if this happens, i hope that UM will stick with its standards and recruit only the true students. At the end, there might be a conference realignment based on high and low admission standards.

3 Likes