College Basketball Open Discussion

I think I remember D Walt missing some critical free throws to tie it late? My main memories are of their center destroying us and having to wait in a blizzard outside for hours.

I hope Jalen Terry does well at Oregon next season. Should be a lot of minutes for him, unless they have a grad or waiver transfer coming in. Given the DDJ and Aiken news, I really wish he’d be wearing the maize and blue instead!

I’ll be at the game in Eugene on November 14!

3 Likes

Jalen Terry is a name I completely forgot about… but I guess looking back maybe I wish we were still involved with him.

We didn’t pursue him because we already had Zeb. I don’t think anything’s changed.

1 Like

Just thinking another guard option may be nice especially if Zeb can maybe play the 2 a bit. But I know many who understand the game better have suggested Zeb wouldn’t play the 2 so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Jalen bounced from MSU the very second they took Hoggard. I presume UM was a nonstarter with Zeb already in the fold.

2 Likes

Appears Zaire Williams is committing to Stanford, I feel like they should be way better program than they are. IMO that’s another job that would be ideal for beilein.

That honestly makes me happy. Love seeing higher academic schools land big time players as well. And Ziaire Williams is an absolute stud. I remember watching him in EYBL last year and he honestly should be in the discussion with Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green and Evan Mobley or at least the next one after them. He’s a phenomenal talent. Doesn’t have the hype but he’s as elite as they come. The top pure wing in the 2020 class.

7 Likes

Glad to hear. I’ve been surprised at the cockiness from UCLA fans thinking they’re getting both Williams and Christopher.

1 Like

He could do well there, it would fit him nicely.

Kind of a sad story. Big fan of Man-Man’s game. Wonder what Michigan would’ve been like with him instead of Walton. I honestly think that the results would’ve been about the same.

Some of the timing/details of that story feel a bit off from what I can remember.

The way I remember it, Beilein offered Monte in the morning. Monte was thinking about committing. Monte was potentially going to commit but Michigan offered Derrick later that night. I think that rubbed people the wrong way and was considered to be putting pressure on Monte by Monte’s camp.

That was all in June and Derrick didn’t commit until August 1st, after the July AAU season.

If I remember right, Monte was still running with Dorian’s Pride that summer and Derrick was with the Mustangs. They teamed up the next summer with the Mustangs.

Fun time though. I did always love Monte’s game.

6 Likes

Morris was better for three and a half years, Walton was sensational during the final 15-20 games of his senior year. Plus, he was hurt and missed half of his sophomore year.

It’s too bad we couldn’t take both. With the way Walton shot as a senior, he could have played off ball, but not before that. And I doubt either guy would have wanted it.

I remember Walton being put off for basically the same reason. Walton said he had to get over the fact he wasn’t the only PG Coach Beilein had offered. From my recollection, there was a third point guard also offered. He may have gone to Notre Dame, but his name escapes me

Demetrius Jackson was offered but not the same day.

2 Likes

Different types of PGs. Morris was more of a game manager type PG. Led the country for 4 years in assist to turnover ratio. I think he was better at making pieces around him better. It’s why he’s one of the best backup PGs in the NBA for one of the best teams in the NBA.

Walton was better at doing stuff for himself in isos and scoring. Also the better athlete and rebounder. But maybe not as good of a “table setter” as Morris per say.

2 Likes

Agree with much of that, other than I would say Morris was better at getting to the rim and finishing inside - I think he has an inch or two in Walton and seems like he plays longer.

Izzo whiffs on transfer Amauri Hardy. Too bad ehh? Chooses Oregon.

5 Likes

That’s a bummer, man.

2 Likes

They are pushing all their chips in on Karim Mane, not sure they are super comfortable with a Watts-Hoggard starting backcourt next year.