College Basketball Open Discussion

Yeah, they ran out of room after taking Jalen Wilson and publicly that’s what Grimes will maintain because that was the basis for his appeal. But as usual, often the reason coaches run out of room is because they know the player is leaving so they actively work to fill the spot (in that case I think Grimes was ultimately mad that he wasn’t utilized in a way that would make him a one and done candidate like he expected to be coming into college so he wasn’t happy at Kansas and wanted to go somewhere to be the man). Obviously the only way you can appeal with that excuse in mind is if your school actually is out of scholarships so not everyone can do it. But it’s practically fool proof if it actually happens.

2 Likes

I think it’s a pretty good sign that OSU wasn’t interested in challenging his waiver. And it’s smart to give a reason that the former school won’t challenge, even if it has nothing to do with the reason for transferring.

Seems doubtful to me that there will be any on campus visits or eval periods until spring 2021.

39 posts were split to a new topic: BTN All-Decade Team

Wonder what type of ripple effect this will have…

No visits until at least September. Means that any add for next years roster or reclassification target won’t be able to take visits.

Wow, very interesting.

With this I’ll be interested to see if there’s finally a big run of commitments. A lot of of kids and staffs were hopeful and planning for August visits.

1 Like

would that help or hurt us?

if September recruiting is canceled I wonder if there will be a run on players committing across the country. If they won’t have the ability to visit, they may want to just lock in their spots. Or maybe there are more players than usual that push their recruitments into the spring. It will be interesting.

Or a run of players who commit early but don’t sign.

5 Likes

I think it will impact the b and c tier type prospects like Will Tschetter and Angelo Brizzi that have one or two offers that clearly stand out. IMO programs like Villanova and Michigan will apply the pressure to those type of kids. I bet we see a major run of commitments from kids in the 50-150 range.

2 Likes

And to be fair, that used to happen around this time (pre-July) and right after July. So not completely new to the schedule, just different circumstances.

I just keep chuckling thinking about Beilein recruiting during this time with his no visit, no offer policy. :rofl:

10 Likes

That’s a hilarious thought. With his famous inflexibility on that front, I honestly wonder what he would be doing right now. I bet he’s glad he doesn’t have to worry about it.

2 Likes

He definitely would have had to pivot out of that. Maybe said a virtual tour is enough. I do wonder how he would have done with this form of recruiting though. I can’t imagine it would have fit to his strengths. Not sure.

I wonder if I’m the only one who thinks Beilein would have thrived under these circumstances? I think the virtual visits would be perfect for him. He’d have them highly structured. Plus recruits are less likely to cancel and it’s easy to reschedule.

2 Likes