College Basketball Open Discussion

You’re definitely misremembering a throttling. Michigan lost by 2 after being up by 9 at halftime. Frustrating loss for sure, but not throttling. That was a really good Arizona team (I believe they were #1 when we played them). Also I think he was talking about the 2012-13 team and you’re talking 2013-14. Michigan started slow that year before they really found their footing.

2 Likes

Yeah that Arizona game was actually where the team really showed what it was going to become later on.

You’re thinking of the 2014-15 season when Arizona crushed Michigan at the McKale Center. That was of course following consecutive losses to NJIT and EMU.

3 Likes

Now let’s never speak of that season again.

8 Likes

Agreed. :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Scheme HBO tonight at 9est

Trey forced him into a 10-second violation and then he missed the front end of the 1-and-1 before Trey’s shot. Justice for that punch.

8 Likes

Michigan a 5 seed for next year. Lunardi says it, so it must be true.

10 B1G teams, none higher than a 3 seed…so a repeat of this year. Many rosters will look different in November than they do now, but:

Tier1:
MSU (3): makes sense, even losing Winston. Just kind of have to assume they’re the class of the conference until they aren’t. If Tillman leaves though, hard to see them as the favorite. How much of Winston/Tillman’s value can Rocket/Hauser replace?

Wisconsin (3): they were good this year, ended on a hot streak, and return everyone. Just have to wonder what that team looks like if their 3pt% regresses to the mean. But the defense will be nasty and the fundamentals will be sound.

Iowa (3)(!): I guess, if Bohannon is back or if they get Carton. Otherwise it’s kind of like assuming MSU will be good…assume Iowa’s defense will be bad enough to lose them a bunch of games they should win.

Tier 2:
Michigan (5): seems like a hedge based on just how much of the roster is up in the air. If Livers returns and JC commits, I think Michigan moves right into that top tier. If Livers leaves, JC goes elsewhere, and Michigan misses out on a top-tier grad transfer, then 5-7 seed feels right.

Ohio State (5): I think they lose too much, if K. Wesson leaves. The starters would read: Walker, Washington, Towns, Liddell Young…woof. That roster would need a KBD type of year from Towns (or Washington?).

Tier 3, no order:
Maryland (10) (hope Stix is gone)/Indiana(7)/Illinois(8) (draft decisions loom large)/Rutgers(7)

Tier 4, no order:
Purdue (8?) (still hard to reconcile a Painter team with so little talent), PSU

Tier 5
Minny (if at least one of Oturu/Carr leave), Braska

Tier 6

10 Likes

If livers leaves and jc goes elsewhere…5-7 is optimistic. Our backcourt would be a mess.

That’s fair. But, depending on draft decisions by Tillman, Ayo, Stix, etc, there arent many starting lineups with talent comparable to DDJ-Eli-Franz-Johns/Todd-Dickinson/Davis. And I’d consider DDJ-Eli-Franz-Todd-Johns a top 4 starting lineup. From there, we just hold our breath and hope Juan can really coach.

But if Juan loses the Simpson Safety Net and doesn’t bring in someone who seems very capable of taking over a majority of playmaking duties (JC or grad transfer), then we will learn a lot about his coaching chops and (imo) a lot of playmaking will fall on Franz and DDJ.

1 Like

I would root so f’ing hard for a DeJulius-Brooks, Zeb-Cole backcourt rotation though

5 Likes

The High Floor/Low ceiling savvy vets, and the Low Floor/High ceiling young guns (DDJ has yet to fully prove his celing, TBF)

That assumes that ddj and cole stick around…

This is a relief. Anybody know where MSU stands with Mane?

2 Likes

Not sure where to put this but I’m a senior at UM and had a job interview today (Biology LOL) where the first thing he asked me was how I feel about having Juwan as our coach! Definitely didn’t expect that but I hope he liked my 10-minute Juwan monologue to start the interview.

23 Likes

Don’t underestimate that type of stuff. Can definitely be a notch on your belt in getting a good connection to the boss or person hiring.

1 Like

It is hard to think of a question I would rather be asked in that scenario.

5 Likes

For those of you that watched The Scheme on HBO, if you have Showtime I highly recommend Disgraced. Directed by the same person and more of a true crime documentary that talks about the Baylor Bears 2003 murder scandal involving multiple players. It includes an interview with head coach at the time Dave Bliss. Really interesting stuff!

Michigan apparently was dropped two spots in wake of DeJulius transfer.

1 Like