College Basketball 2024-25 Offseason Discussion

1 Karaban plz

1 Like

Particularly since Shams just told everybody it was going to be JJ. Woj putting it all on the line.

5 Likes

I would have to think it’s Luke Murray. He has a great mind for offense but I wonder if Hurley would try to bring Murray with him because Murray’s offense was the reason why Hurley wanted a better offensive system.

I think these are all good points and make sense as to why Hurley would leave. But in situations like this I am always compelled to ask if its a leverage ploy. Hurley makes a lot of money but can he get more out of UConn? Especially as a “blue blood” type of school?

The LeBron influence also has me questioning this. Is he a “LeBron” guy? Seems that is the way this has been going and this just strikes me as strange. If Hurley ends up with the job, either it means you have to move LeBron if he is not on board or its going to be VERY messy.

I also will go out on a limb and say that I don’t think Hurley’s schtick will fly in the NBA and it could very easily go up in flames.

2 Likes

This is true. When Lebron fires him in 2 years, the Duke job will be open after Scheyer flames out and he will be the next coach in Durham.

2 Likes

There’s already an up and coming coach in North Carolina for when Scheyer gets canned :eyes:

The only risk for Hurley is that he might not get a job of UConn’s quality right away if it doesn’t work out in the NBA. There’s probably not a better job in college than Uconn. But who knows, maybe he feels accomplished with back to back titles and wants to try his hand at the NBA. I’ve always felt that the things that make a great college coach (organization, building a sense of urgency and buy in, and teaching) aren’t as important in the NBA because the coach is usually not building the roster, the season is a grind and while there’s still development in the NBA, half your roster is a finished product.

1 Like

How so?

Regardless, he can wait for whatever job he wants. There’s 0 downside here. He gets to coach Lebron! This isn’t JB going to a trainwreck post-Lebron Cavs franchise

This is why I ask just how massive of a deal they are talking about. Because coaching Lebron is both a blessing and a curse, but at this stage of his career it’s more of a curse. You’re not likely to win a title at his age and if you don’t, your job security is extremely flimsy.

Darvin Ham made the WCF last year and then was fired this year. Vogel won an NBA championship and was fired two years later. Blatt made the NBA finals and was fired the next season.

But money is money and if the deal is big enough, I see how that could be hard to turn down.

3 Likes

I see this as a very likely scenario. Moreso than Hurley/LeBron coexisting for a prolonged period of time.

I feel like the Lakers have to make a choice. Either go 2 years all-in with LeBron or if your going Hurley then he needs to have autonomy, even if that means moving LeBron. If LeBron isn’t on board, I can’t see Hurley+LeBron working.

2 Likes

Just can’t get behind this being the death of college basketball at all. The NBA is the pinnacle of basketball. Of course you’d wanna get there if possible. Regardless of NIL / portal mania.

2 Likes

The thing I wonder with Hurley, and it was similar with Beilein and dweebs like Urban meyer in the NFL, is how does he deal with an 82 game season? In college every single game matters A LOT more than in the NBA. Is he still gonna lose his mind at refs every game? Yell at opposing fans in hostile environments? Don’t think that’ll be healthy over 82

2 Likes

Yeah, this is pretty simple. Most successful college coaches want to be successful NBA coaches too. They are wired that way.

2 Likes

College coaches have been leaving for the NBA for as long as the NBA has existed

Dick Vitale left CBB for the NBA!!!

4 Likes

Their NIL is probably one of the best in the country because the school and alum don’t care about football as much. And it’s got a good women’s program, so basketball is king on that campus. Great history and facilities. Their fanbase is basketball crazy but I don’t know if they’re as much of a pressure cooker as Kentucky.

He would get his pick of jobs, but the top jobs are not always open. Might have to wait a few years, which he might be ok with for all I know.

He’s mid as the kids say

Good thing Kentucky hired Mark Pope instead of Hurley. Boss move by their AD to avoid this mess

1 Like

Another thing about pros vs college. Coaching salaries in the nfl and nba have exploded recently. Money used to be equal or better in college but the pros are leaping way ahead. Harbaugh got 16 mil from the chargers for example.

1 Like

As far as NIL in the near term, I guess it helps to have hoops only, but sadly (to a CBB purist) I worry a lot about the future of basketball-only schools in terms of what’s to come.